would you be interested?

Winston-Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

This is just to gauge interest. I will post this on the classifieds section when the time comes.

Im planning on selling lots of irises this summer by the dozen. grab bag style. It will be a mix of all my irises. these are named varieties but will not be labeled. Just trying to swiftly make room for more new varieties is all. Im thinking about $18 per dozen and a cheap flat rate for shipping.

Roswell, NM(Zone 6a)

I would be interested, but I don't get on the classified section, could you drop me and dmail to remind me. Thanks Susan

Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

I'd think you'd have more people interested if you could label them.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

My 2 cents goes to labeling them. Second choice would be, if you don't know the name, "blue falls, white standards, orange beard", etc.

Vandalia, IL

Ipaid $2 a fan this fall for named, and marked. and I drove 60 miles round trip to get them,,, $10. in gas...just a guide line.
dee

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

I would be happy to buy some but I am digging almost all of mine in order to redo the bed
and let it lie idle for a year. Sounds like a good deal for beginning gardeners, a lot of whom
don't know plants have names.

South Hamilton, MA

Marking them takes time, but as you often see by the DG posts people want IDs & several years later might want the IDs . I would take the time. We always mark even when giving away plants.

Well, the only reason they wont be marked is because lots of them have been mixed up a bit. I can label all the ones that i know for sure but it will be impossible to actually label them all. Since the soil where they grow is so exhausted they dont bloom as well either so thats the big reason for doing this sail. So i can get in there and redo the soil and make room for replanting.

thanks for the input. keep it coming!

Readyville, TN(Zone 7a)

I agree with most of the other responses. If you can label them accurately, that would be the best option for your buyers.

Well, your response was made just as I was entering this one - so I'm editing to explain my reply.

This message was edited Mar 13, 2009 12:33 PM

South Hamilton, MA

Well, mark the ones you know. It can be tough when plants grow into each other. We use a plastic tape around the base of a plant to keep them straight. Then when we divide we know which little increase goes with which plant. This mainly happens with seedlings, some of which are more enthusastic growers than others. They are lined out closer together after germination as some will die, some are horrid & some merit another look.

It would be a very small percentage that are marked. Since i may not for certain on many. I'd rather just sell them as unknown than to give them the wrong names. Hopefully i have decent bloom though and that will help me get more labeled before digging. I have them all mapped etc... but after so many years its hard to tell.

I have bought iris this way before and paid 50 cents a plant, reasoning being you don't know what you are getting I suppose.

Roswell, NM(Zone 6a)

I'm one of the gardener's that doesn't care about names and Im not going to take the time to make a marker with a name on it. I just like plants. I still would be interested and know of at least two more ladies here that were interested when I told them. I guess I'm just a planter not a gardener, lol. Susan

Either way they are gorgoues! What i could do is post my list of what i have in the garden. That way people can see what is in my garden. They are all beauties. I usually get rid of any i dont like right away so the chances of getting lots of greats are about 100%.LOL

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

I'd be interested for my dil they just bought a house and she loves Irises her fav flower she dosent care about names !!! mine are all new and not ready to split up yet
Gloria

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

I would be interested too.

Gainesville, TX

count me in

Great! glad to hear. digging is all I am going to know this summer.
What I am going to do is mark anything that bloomed and sell all the named irises in their own grab bags. Then all the unknown irises will be kept in seperate grab bags.

Here is a picture of the irises that will be getting sold. Only about 1/8 of them are blooming in this picture because of the over crowding and worn out soil;

Thumbnail by flowrgirl1
Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

My question is: Do you take PayPal?? LOL

yes i do!

Raleigh, NC

flowrgirl, there's a local here that sells orphans (those that got lost from their clumps). he puts them in a peck basket, labels the baskets so-much-apiece (half price usually to the named varieties). He labels the baskets whimsical things, like "the oh wow one" or "gosh that's pretty". his sold to the public extremely well.

thats a great idea! I should see how well it will do at some local farm markets. thanks bonjon!

Raleigh, NC

welcome, it's Rick's idea, not mine.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.