Glazing question

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

I'm really bummed. I bought some glazes recently and the first experiment was a real disappointment.

What I purchased was Mayco Pottery Coat/terra cotta - a matte "base" and Pottery Cascade/white (04-06)
with the idea of a matte terra cotta pot with a white "icing" effect dripping from the rim. I used three coats of the Cascade. http://maycocolors.com/productList.cfm?srch_familyid=23&CFID=10347502&CFTOKEN=87649740

Two problems I see with this - 1) the Pottery Cascade seems to have been absorbed into the Pottery Coat and hardly shows; 2) I was probably wrong using such a dark color under the white. Won't have the piece back until next week, as I tried adding another really thick coat of the Cascade and re-firing to see what would happen.

What I'm asking is if anyone has tried something similar or has used a matte base glaze and how did you use it? I also have the Amber Cascade and Khaki Pottery Coat, so I need to figure out some way to use them (perhaps purchasing another glaze to complete the effect I wanted?).

Kathleen

This thread has 17 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!