I can help-with ideas

Radford, VA(Zone 7a)

I've been on a low, fixed income for years-many as a single mom. I don't have time to keep up with all the threads, but will be glad to answer emails or post here. Here's how I live.

*Coupons are great, but I've not had the patience-and I've found they aren't always a bargain.
*Sometimes generic foods actually taste better and, lately, they seem to have more in the packet than the name brand. (Great Value mashed potatoes and oatmeal for example.)
*Having a vegetable garden is great, but not free either, if you are in a place where you have to water. You can't beat the garden for fresh veggies, but buying canned ones on sale just may be cheaper than gardening and canning yourself.
*Trading seeds makes sense, if you don't usually use a whole packet.
*Dehydrating is great & saves space.
*Herbs (especially fresh) can dress up the plainest (and usually cheapest) ingredients.
*Squirrel meat has a nutty flavor and fits nicely in a crockpot. ; )
*I rarely drink anything other than (filtered) water.
*I eat less than 1/2 lb. of meat per week.
*I don't cook much, but do bake my own bread.
*I rarely eat out more than once a week.
*I wear my clothes for several days at a time.
*I buy washable (not dry-cleanable) clothes.
*I wear slippers in the house, have a pair of old shoes for working outdoors, and have a couple of pairs of shoes for wearing 'out'.
*I don't believe a pair of shoes is worth more than $30-to me at least-unless it has arch support and maybe gold in the toe!
*I bought my kids' clothes and shoes one size too big so they lasted longer. They had one coat and one or two (cheap) pairs of shoes. I didn't buy popular or 'name' brands.
*I do all my errands at once-usually once a week.
*I don't rent videos or do pay-per-view, but I do have satellite tv.
*'Going out' means an inexpensive dinner, maybe once a week.
*I order a la carte & drink water.
*I go where I can order from the kids' menu.
*If a place is expensive (to me-$10-12 for a plate), I split with a friend.
*I buy clothes on sale. Sears.com has good clearance prices on nice clothes.
*I use shampoo, conditioner & soap sparingly, rather than lavishly, and I empty the containers completely.
*I usually shower/shampoo every other day, unless I'm working outside, etc.
*I have an idea in mind of what something is worth and do my best to wait until I can find it at that price.
*I've learned where to get the best prices-almost always it's Walmart. Kmart is now a lot more expensive than Walmart, as is Target.
*Some great bargains can be found at a real 'Dollar Store'. (Great for spoiling the grandkids cheaply!)
*I look at the unit price, beside the regular price, because manufacturers are cutting back on volume (11.5 ounces instead of 12) and being tricky with packaging (look closely at 3 sizes of Cocoa Puffs-the weights and prices are very different, but the package sizes are nearly identical).
*Buying a larger quantity is not always cheaper.
*When I shop online, I look for the clearance items and sales items first.
*I have a budget and try to stick with it. 'overspending' in one area is ok, it just means cutting back on something else.
*I know how much I plan to spend before I go out/shop.
*I try not to buy on impulse.
*If I see something I want, or need, and don't have the money-I wait until I do.
*I return items if I can't use them.
*I watch my checking account carefully to not incur overdraft fees.
*I seriously hunt for the best prices.
*I used to take my kids to fairs/carnivals-if they had free admission. We didn't buy a rides pass, but each could choose a few.
*I print on both sides of paper, and reuse paper.
*(When I could pay my credit cards) I paid them on time and didn't go over the limit.
I got in trouble with credit cards too, starting a business. I'm not perfect and don't do all the above things perfectly all the time. However, this is a way of life for me now-with about 30 years of practice.
Mostly, I am just conscious that my income is limited and try to get the best value for my dollar and choose what is most important to me.

This thread has 13 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!