Camellia with powder mildew.

(Zone 7a)

I have a pink Camellia that blooms in the fall. It is in a shady north corner and my dryer vent comes out close to it, it is 7 years old. It has powder mildew it is to big to spray all of the leaves. What about trimming it way back and trying to stop the mildew will that work or is it just in the wrong place and the mildew probably want be stopped? It was planted there by landscapers. Can someone please give me some advice? I live in zone 7. Thanks.

Barmera, Australia

G'Day
I don't know if this is safe for Camellia but Pumpkins can be treated by dusting with Sulphur or even putting Sulphur on the ground under the plant. It is worth a try because even if it burns the foliage the damage won't be any worse than from the Powdery Mildew. Don't dust during hot weather (over about 80F) wait for a cool change. Perhaps someone else from DG can offer an opinion.
Brian

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Cutting it way back won't solve the problem long-term...if the plant is really bushy and overgrown then trimming it back a little may help because it'll improve the air circulation, but unfortunately if you have a plant that is susceptible to powdery mildew in a location that has the right conditions for it, you're going to always be fighting it. Here's some info on treating it--it was written for vegetables but similar treatments should work for other types of plants too. You have to catch it early, once it gets really well established I think it's a lot harder to get rid of. http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7406.html

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Um, I was working on a landscape and thought I saw the same powdery mildew on a plant. Looked at it closer and it was from the dryer - fine lint. Just thought I'd mention. I think powdery mildew is caused by humid cool conditions and lack of air circulation. I think it's also a sign of stress. Is the plant looking stressed? Can the Camellia be moved?

Hastings, MI(Zone 5b)

A lot of people plant their shrubs too close to the house, causing problems from both
the house and the plant. There should be at least 3 feet of air space behind the plant to
allow for moisture evaporation and air movement. You could prune your Camellia
away from the house if thats a problem.

LOL, finding dryer lint and thinking it was powdery mildew...lolol, the dreaded" Powdery
Dryer Lint Mildew!" Priceless.

One time I thought my dog had bladder worms, if such a thing ever existed. I found
a puddle of her pee downstairs when I was young, with long white strands with a red
tip on them. It wasn't until my mom mopped up the floor that I found where the
"bladder worms" came from.. from the long rusted strands that were falling apart from
the mop.

sher

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.