Forest devestation in Ma.

Athol, MA

A couple of days ago Chronical-channel 5 did a piece on what's happening to our state forests here in Ma. It seems that the state is allowing severe overcutting. A spokesman from the Forest Stewardship council had a couldn't care less attitude about it. Another rep. from the Sierra Club said that they are aware of a serious problem, but are reluctant to pull back support of the FSC because they have always supported them in the past. I'd like to hear comments from other Ma. residents. I've emailed Gov. Patrick with my thoughts on the matter and hope that others will do the same at his website.

If I'm in the wrong forum, perhaps someone will correct me.

South Hamilton, MA

I didn't see the program, but with floods etc. I would not be in favor of cutting, unless it is something to prevent the spread of the disease problem with the hemlocks. They are cutting in worcester because of the asian long horn beetle. Where was the cutting taking place? Does Mass Audubon have anything to say?

Athol, MA

The intent was to cut out only diseased trees but that's not what's happening. The forest shown on tv was in Savoy. There are several others on their list but they have had to suspend for awhile due to cleanup from the ice storm. It appeared to me that wide strips were cut clean and a thin strip left with trees. Also areas with huge patches cut clean.The Audubon wasn't mentioned-just the Forest Stewardship Council and the Sierra Club. Every year I donate to have several trees planted through the Audobon and the American Forests. This news is quite upsetting.

South Hamilton, MA

Definitly--they should be replanting & who was listed as authorizing the cut. Someone not in charge who knows what they are doing.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

How about the Trees,Shrubs,Conifers forum if it's not too political.?

This message was edited Mar 10, 2009 8:10 AM

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

audrey had not heard about this problem in mass. is there a link anywhere to talks about this problem

Athol, MA

You can go to www.thebostonchannel.com follow link that says " team 5 investigates "in left hand column, then you will see to the right " State turns forests into logging opportunities". It's being called "chain saw massacre"

South Hamilton, MA

I'm sorry, I am seeming to miss it.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

here it is

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/investigative/18863203/detail.html

Guerneville, CA(Zone 9a)

This exactly what they did in the state forest behind our property last summer; but left they trees near the road so one could not see the devastation and mess.
We live in Sterling, near the East Princeton, Leominster line.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.