March III Blooms

Mid, ID(Zone 3b)

Since I have a little time this morning I thought I could start March III blooms for the dial up folks.

Bristol's Agitated Eel from a leaf Cedarnest sent me last summer. We miss you Nancy!

~Brenda

This message was edited Mar 9, 2009 7:30 AM

Thumbnail by bmedel
Mid, ID(Zone 3b)

Another bloom from a leaf Nancy sent.

Bristol's Yumpin Yimminy, supposed to be a compact grower.

~Brenda

Thumbnail by bmedel
Mid, ID(Zone 3b)

One more first blooms from Nancy.

Bristol's Potpourri

~Brenda

Thumbnail by bmedel
Jasper, AR(Zone 7a)

Gorgeous streps Brenda!!

Mid, ID(Zone 3b)

Thanks HGran ....

When I got up this morning it was 6 below zero, on March 9th!! I was thankful once again to have a plant room with lots of blooming things to enjoy and work with! And DG to share the fruits of my labors. Keeps me sane. ^_^

This is an all time favorite, Bristol's Petticoats, that I grew from my own leaf! LOL

~Brenda

Thumbnail by bmedel
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I know Brenda and I either lost or sold mine, but Goldleaf has a leaf for me. She is so pretty........an all time favorite.

I can't remember except the last two pictures of who gave me the leaf or plant............

Franken Dainty Lady is gearing up for a big bloom period.

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Neil's Minnesota first bloom.

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Shenendoah Sugar Plum had to come from Nancy........

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Shenendoah Shooting Stars

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Shenendoah Sugar Plum

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Winter Blossoms' first blooms.

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Highland, IL

As always, just stopping by to look at all your pretties! Still no blooms, not sure what I'm doing wrong. Over the weekend I repotted my strep, it was getting huge the leaves looked great, but still no blooms! I separated it and put into smaller pots. Wish me luck yet again!! Thanks for sharing the beautiful pic's!!! Laura H

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I saved the best for the last...........both from Goldleaf

Different Drummer

Good morning, Laura.............do you have the Optimara gessie food or a bloom booster of about 14-36-12? That will do it for you!

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I love Ida Wanna but you can't capture her in a picture......the purple is purple and the yellow is yellow.

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Highland, IL

Gail, I have been using the Mircle Grow for av's? A few weeks ago I got the Neptune Fish emolsion for some of my starter plants for outside and did a diluted watering with it. OK, I'm going to get the Optimara, do you get it online? I have seen a site that sells it, I will have to go back to see it, what type of bloom booster? I'm going to give it shot!!!! I WANT PRETTY BLOOMS TOO!!!! Thanks for your help, sorry you all have to hold my hand!!!

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

If it wasn't for the hand holding, I'd be lost! How many plants do you have lhettenhausen?

Highland, IL

I have 2 new streps, due to all of you ladies showing the great pics! They are Bristols Daisy Doodle and Sally Mander, I just got those in January, one has 2 leaves the other has 1 and another one starting. I have had Midnight Satin since like last October, I got it at a show. It has look healthy with great leaves but no blooms, more and more leaves. I think I may have put it in too large of a pot? I have 2 AV's that look great: Blue Dragon and Mandan Dandy, I have had those a while. They did bloom last year but nothing since like last summer. Here again, it could be the size of the pot?? I did cut some ofthe leaves off a while back, I am trying to root a few and some just looked bad and had touched the dirt-look soggy. Now, my Bob Servin, Snow Jewel and Cherries & Cream look terrible, I am loosing them fast. I have 3 Chiritas that look great and they are still young, I have an epicasia in a gold fish bowl, its growing slow, it has about 3-4 leaves. I have a couple of mini plants in a shallow dish and some in an 3 gal oct. fish tank. OK, I'm getting a little carried away, I have about 3-4 hoyas that I'm not sure what they are, 2 look great, one large leaf is still in the dirt it started in, not dead, just not doing anything, but the rest are thriving. I also have some asst. airplants, ok back to these. I just took the cover off of the plantlight that I got at walmart a while back hoping that would help, I have also set up 2 grow lights in desk lamps hoping this would help, but those poor AV's. could I be overwatering? I keep them moist but not wet. aahhhh (holding both hands out):)

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Don't use miracle grow for anything but outside plants............please...........
I think Optimara you can order on line and it is the best overall food...............
www.selectivegardener.com

I just rotate a lot of fertilizers but Brenda says she sticks with this one..........14-15-14 or something like that and hers just started blooming. I have found the same thing..............

Mid, ID(Zone 3b)

Gail Different Drummer is a real beauty and I also loved your Ruffled Rose on the March II thread, the "ruffles" just made that bloom extra special!

The best price I found for the Optimara Violet Food 14 12 14 was from Selective Gardener online. It was 13.00 for the one pound tub and it cost 6.00 to ship, it goes a long way at 1/4 tsp to 1/2 tsp per gallon of water.

I grew these sinningia Iarae from seed, they are the prettiest coral red color in person.

~Brenda

Thumbnail by bmedel
Jasper, AR(Zone 7a)

I have this- got it at the hardware store-- Gail do you dilute it or use it full strength??

Highland, IL

That is where I found it! Holy cow, at least I'm on the right track!! OK, no more mircle grow. I have actually almost stopped using it except for foliar feeding outside to use up what I had. WOW, there is so much out there its mind boggling!! I have seen violet food: 12-36-14m 15-16-17 no wonder I'm totally confused! Do you get bloom booster from the same site?

Mid, ID(Zone 3b)

We were typing at the same time Gail. LOL

I do three rounds of watering with the optimara and then use plain water on the fourth time. Then every once in awhile I'll hit all the streps with the beer /epsom salts fertilizer I water my hoyas with.

Pearcea Equador is looking lovely right now.

~Brenda

Thumbnail by bmedel
Mid, ID(Zone 3b)

Laura the streps do like lots of light too! I grew several in my front east facing window and they did well there but once I put them on a light stand with a shop light above with one cool and one warm bulb (about 12 inches above) them I could really tell a difference.

Same with my Kohlerias, they went nuts on the light stands after just doing OK in natural light.

More old favorites blooming again, Emily and Charlotte.

~Brenda

Thumbnail by bmedel
Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Brenda - do you wick water, or do you water from the top?

Highland, IL

Brenda, now you have opened yet another can of worms for yourself!! My hoyas have not bloomed either! As long as you all are talking fertilizer, could you help me there too. Hubby had to go out of town for meetings, whew, now I'm on a roll!!

(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

Gorgeous pictures Brenda and Gail! Drool.....LOL.I don't know if anyone remembers this because it was on the first page of the thread,but why is the beautiful Strep.Seren considered difficult? And Gail,you can keep Strep. leaves in a baggie with a little water in the refrigerator ??
Lynn

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Brenda, you were the one who got me ordering the Optimara regular gessie food.(LOL). I was using several others............you hit the nail on the head about blooming when I changed. I am using 1/2 tsp to a gallon of water but I think it is burning some of the plants that I am wicking. Going to change back to 1/4 tsp. What are measuring, Brenda...........the instructions say 1/2 tsp?????????

Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

Hi All,
I just wanted to say that I have waited and waited for my Jacob Jem to bloom and I had to nurse this plant as it just did not want to do much... Well I stuck it some where and then I found again and she has done great... She is bigger now and strong... Well any way I waited for it to bloom and it has and I am saying it is not all that... I am very disappointed in it...LOL She what you get for wanting ...LOLOL
I also wanted to know if anyone here has B. Cherry Dip that they could either put a leaf down for me or send me a leaf? I would pay postage and also offer something I have also? Also Victorian Lace... Thanks...
Hugs,
Susan

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

My Jacob Jem is giant but her blooms never turn into blooms. ..........win some and lose some (LOL) I was very disappointed in her.

I have a Baby Victorian Lace and can put a couple of small leaves down, SUsan..........
I don't have B. Cherry Dip but there is a leaf for sale on another site. I didn't get her because I wanted leaves from the same person and ordered some from someone else.

Williston, ND

Jacos gem blooms dont get big,and it looks like it never opens all the way but thats how that plant blooms,people want the plant for putting green on a flower

JIM

Ottawa, IL(Zone 9a)

i am so excited, i am going to the chicago flower show tommorro with 2 of my friends,hav'ent been down town in chicago in years, this is to much fun for me, then this week end i have our groups flower show at the botanical gardens,sigh .......
mrsbonnie

Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks Gail. I will try and get a picture later from Jacob's Gem... UGLY.... LOL Gail if I have a leaf you want just ask ok?
Sue

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Susan, you are sweet. Right now I am just trying to get rid of so many I have...............no more room but I would love to trade leaves later on as I adore some you have that I don't and I have a lot that you don't..................In the meantime, I will make sure I put down a leaf for you.

Williston, ND

what about me?? lol kidding ,

JIM

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I already know to put leaves down for you, Jimbo!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I can't find my Victorian Brocade but I know I have one. I was thinking of Persian Carpet.........I know I will find it somewhere.

Williston, ND

thats a pretty one too,both of them

JIM

Williston, ND

you always take care of me Gail

JIM

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

We all take care of each other ^_^

Susan, you have dmail........changing my mind.........

Ottawa, IL(Zone 9a)

hey all, have you seen all the streps & strep leaves on ebay, there is 1 on there i thought about buying, poochie, sure is pretty. have to go check it out again.
mrsbonnie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.