2nd Pix Teensy, Tiny Green Insect w/tiny black dots

Redondo Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Here is one more pix to help identify. There's a whole lot more of the little hard black dots than the tiny green insects. Thanks a bunch! Rusty

Thumbnail by RustyStar
The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

The green insect could very well be an aphid, but it is hard to tell. I think I can see aphid sheds (the white things). Can you see two little stove pipes sticking out of its back near the rear?

The hard black dots are a little puzzling. Can you flick them off with your fingernail?

Redondo Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Thanks for the reply! The little black dots, yes, can be flicked off with a slight effort. They are hard, little balls. Before I sprayed the fuchsia, the leaves of about 10 leaves were just COATED with these black balls. The insect is really hard to see, it is green and it seems to have kind of long, gold-colored very spidery, thin legs. It almost looks under a magnifying glass like it has a "mohawk" kind of spine - but not sure. I wish I had a better camera. Thanks again. Rusty

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

Is your fuschia hanging up in a basket, or on/near the ground?

I'm so sorry, but I'm still puzzled. You don't describe an aphid. I pretty much know my insects. Maybe I'm just brain dead right now. I'll think on it, or perhaps someone else will pop in.

Are any of the leaves sticky? If it's in the house, check the floor underneath it...

One more question: Do you have any small flying insects flitting about when you disturb the plant - as in white fly?

This message was edited Mar 14, 2009 11:46 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.