burn pile

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8a)

I have a small burn pile, tree trimmings,leaves and paper. Can it be used in the garden or used for anything? Thanks Elaine

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 4b)

It depends on what you burn & how much ash you apply.

http://davesgarden.com/tools/tags/tag.php?tag=composting+ashes

In general, a little dab'll do ya.

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8a)

I burn leaves, tree limbs, paper.
I think I will just leave the ashes where they are. Thanks for your answer

Orlando, FL

I was thinking I read somewheres that you shouldn"t put ash in a composter.....But I heard chickens love the stuff...like catnip for cats!! So donate it to a chicken lover!!

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

We put ash on everything!!!! Mix it in the soil...full of Potash and stuff the bananas love.... If you grow bananas I would definitely use it!!!!

Raleigh, NC

i add ash to my iris beds, they adore potash.

but I've heard you have to be careful, like, if you use started logs (chemicals) don't use the ash from that sort of fire.

can anyone tell me, I have to burn rose and iris trimmings if it has leaf spot. that's about the only things I burn outdoors. can this be used, or is the spore still viable? I know never ever to compost these trimmings, as the spore survives in the compost.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

The reason you have to burn the trimming with the fungi is to destroy it...and yes it will be dead and you can use the ashes....

Raleigh, NC

good. I wanted to use that potash.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Just a thought....but you might have your soil tested before adding a lot of amendments like potash...

Raleigh, NC

that's not a bad idea, to retest. I've been adding a lot for the last three years.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.