newbie to Hydrangea

Crestview, FL(Zone 8a)

Hi all - i got a pot of Hydrangea and from what I have gather so far - it looks like it is a mophead . I live in Zone8a Florida and barely have any shade in my yard- both front and back.

Can I grow it on the ground or it will be better to be kept in a pot ?. Right now it is in a 4" pot and didn't come with a name or info on it. I looked around and tried to get as much info but I know DG is always going to give me better information.

any input will be greatly appreciated. thanks a lot

eileen

Thumbnail by flagardener
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

If you had an appropriate location with afternoon shade you could keep it in a pot or plant it in the ground, but if all you have is sun it's going to be unhappy regardless of whether it's in a pot or in the ground. Do you have a covered patio or somewhere that only gets morning sun?

Crestview, FL(Zone 8a)

thank you for the quick response. I do have a patio at the back where it gets shade in the afternoon. I guess the pot is its home for good. :)

Longboat Key, FL(Zone 9b)

I just moved permanently to Longboat Key FL zone 9a and have shooting star H. Upon receip, I planted it into a 3 gal.pot from 8" pot. Gets a little PM sun. doing very well. New shoots plus new flower on an older shoot and also getting another flower. The key is that up- planting (larger pot - more soil- more roots) will make a larger plant. Ultimately it will stay in a container. Once it attains the size I can manage it'll stay in that size container and not grow much more. Will have to be pruned from then on. Want to add a few more but those will go into the ground as I have quite a bit of shade Helene

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.