Cool Plant, but what is it?

Defiance, OH

Hello,

I harvested three seeds from it and now have there cool little replicas. But since I don't know what they are, I'm not sure how to care for them. Does anyone happen to know what this plant is?

Thumbnail by beagelgarden
Defiance, OH

Someone was kind enough to identify this as a Ligularia dentata.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Oh yes and it is lovely!!! Ligularias are my favorite shade plant.... They like to be moist. Some are better in the sun than others. All of mine are in the shade where they may get dappled sun during the day, but not to much. Love the flowers in the summer also. Is this a "now" photo? Cant believe they are up in your area. Have fun with it and love it. ;) Ronna

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

These are pretty tough plants. They like part shade and they like to have their feet moist, but my SIL has a couple growing in sun in her yard with fir and cedar trees nearby. The trees pretty much suck up all the moisture in the yard.

Though many sites say it's not necessary to divide them, I divided her plants this spring and got about 20 small plants from each mature clump. It's easy to see where to divide them once you knock off the dirt. They went fast at the recent plant swap.

Nice plant.

Defiance, OH

They are just poking through the ground right now. I happen to have taken a picture of it in the past and was able to look it up for posting. I really like how it looks and it is a point of intrest in my shade garden. It "babys" are cute. I took this picture a few weeks ago.

Thumbnail by beagelgarden

Beagle - these will get big so make sure you allow plenty of room for them.

Defiance, OH

Thanks for the suggestion. This is actually temporary setting for them, until transplanting them become more realistic.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

One of mine is coming up, too. It could stand division this year, but if I'm going to do it, I'd better do it soon.

Sorry for the blur, but this camera is designed to be a video camera. It's hard to hold the camera still enough . . .

Thumbnail by katie59
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Oh I just love my ligularias I was out side the other day and noticed they are starting to come up!!! Ronna

Defiance, OH

Great picture katie.

My parent plant is coming up too, GLady and Katie. It is so exciting to see them coming back to life. I love the purple colors. It is hard to wait for the cold spell to be over. Last week we had a bit of snow.... I'm eager to plant my greenhouse plants.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.