Hydrangeas in Chicago Burbs - How Far North is "North"?

Bloomington, IN(Zone 6a)

I fell in love with hydrangeas last summer and want to put some in this spring. From my research, I think the Paniculatas and Quercifolias will do well here, but here's my question - I would like to put them in an area of my yard that gets about 5 to 6 hours of midday sun. Some sites say "more sun in the north is OK". Does "more" mean 5 - 6 hours, almost full sun? Does "north" mean Chicago or farther up?

My other question is companion shrubs - I'd like to plant the hydrangeas with lilacs, for spring through summer bloom. But I think lilacs don't like as much water as hydrangeas. Is that maybe not a good match in the garden?

Here's a picture of the area I want to put the hydrangeas and lilacs. It was started a few years ago as a prairie garden. It really didn't work out so well for a few reasons: 1) As much as I like the IDEA of using natives, I realized I really don't like the wild, rambly plants that term includes 2) I did not plan placement very well, and 3) Some critter kept running through the back of it last summer, destroying my Joe Pye Weed and leaving a very curious, musty odor. We still have not solved that mystery!

Anyway - I'm rambling. Sorry! Any advice about the hydrangeas and lilacs??

Thumbnail by sherriseden
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

H. arborescens will do well in your area too. And H. macrophylla will be fine as well if you either get a reblooming one like 'Endless Summer' or if you are willing to protect it over the winter to save the buds from freezing. H. arborescens and H. paniculata will take more sun than H. macrophylla so it sounds like those might be best for you given the hours of sun that you get. I'm not sure I'd plant hydrangeas and lilacs together, it's never good to plant things with different water needs together because you can never make them both happy. And lilacs also like to be in full sun, so if there's enough sun for the lilac there'll probably be too much for the hydrangeas, or if the hydrangeas are happy it might not be enough for the lilac.

Bloomington, IN(Zone 6a)

I think you are right, ecrane3. I'll give up on the hydrangea/lilac combo notion and do the hydrangeas with something else. Or - maybe just do all hydrangeas interplanted with various perennials! Thanks for the info!

Verona, WI(Zone 4b)

I'm in 4b and have luck with Endless Summer and Anabelle without more than a bit of mulch in the winter. They are both prolific bloomers but they do need water consistantly and will wilt quickly if they get dry. Endless summer are pretty as pink in alkaline soils or blue in acid and you can change them by adjusting the PH. Annabelle's stay white and get a bit floppy so I always stake them. Endless Summer are tidier. As far as companions I saw a very attractive planting of hydrangeas interleaved with dwarf conifers of the triangular shape (don't know what there were, but very pretty planted in rotation along a line like you have). Good luck with them.

Bloomington, IN(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Wade! I've pretty much decided on Hydrangeas in a shady border and lilacs in the sunny border. I did read today on UIC Extension website about a new Annabelle type cultivar with stronger stems. It's called "HYDRANGEA ARBORESCENS INCREDIBALLTM('ABETWO')" It's sold by Wayside Gardens and Klehms (which may be up by you). Think I'll try it!

Verona, WI(Zone 4b)

thanks, I'll check it out.

Lakes of the Four Se, IN(Zone 5a)

Read the Garden Watchdog before ordering from Wayside.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.