Lori's Plant

Lakeview, OR(Zone 7b)

Can you tell me what variety Philodendron this is? When I got it, it was a beautiful varigation, very creamy white, more mottled. It is lighter than any Philo I've seen.

Thumbnail by mortswife97630
Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Don't know which but increasing light will bring back the varigation.

Winthrop Harbor, IL(Zone 5a)

It looks just like the heart-leaf philodendron I have here on my desk. I checked my gardening book, the scientific name is philodendron oxycardium. I've never seen a variagated one though.

Lakeview, OR(Zone 7b)

Here is a close up. I have repotted it and it is in direct sun all day.

Anchorage, AK

Hi! It sure looks like a heart leaf philodendron aka philodendron cordatum. There is a variety called Brazil that is variegated but not to the extent you describe. You might consider putting it in bright indirect light rather than direct sun which could burn the leaves. :)

Lakeview, OR(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the info on the philodendron. My florist friend just told me the same thing; so I guess I can officially label it now!

(Zone 1)

It looks like P. scadens subsp. oxycardium: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/736/

There is also a Philodendron cultivar called 'Brasil' (I've also seen it spelled 'Brazil') - a beautiful variegated heart leaf Philo: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/83313/

I've never known of anyone growing the heart leaf philodendron's in direct sun, bright light would be good but direct hot sun would surely cause the foliage to fade out and in some cases, depending on how intense the sun, the leaves would burn.

Lakeview, OR(Zone 7b)

Here is a new photo of my Heart Leaf Philodendron. It has been getting a little more south light and the new leaf is very pretty in variegation. Cheryl

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

I *knew* that looked to be a bit more 'pale' than the usual.

The variegation shows that it is, indeed, the cultivar 'Brasil' mentioned above.

One of my favorites, and easy to grow.

(Zone 1)

Very pretty, indeed! I love the looks of that one! I've had a couple of Philo 'Brasil' the past few years but didn't have the same variegation as yours. Mine were neglected and are no longer alive. :(

This picture is from two years ago.

Thumbnail by plantladylin
Fayetteville, NC

lol....i think we have te same plant stand plantladylin....i see yours in the background lol does it have metal butterflies on it? my cat managed to knock mine over and it had my beta fish on it and plants i could have killed him....he is such a handful here is him ofcourse laying on a stuffed animal cat beside the plant. sometimes he can wedge his way between the cat and the plant and you cant even see that he is there.

Thumbnail by KMiragliotta

I don't think the first plant is "Brasil". Brasil has green margins with yellow in the middle. The plant in the first picture is a lemon philo. There's also a lemon pothos.

Susan

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Susan...I think you might be right on this one, (now that you mention the 'lemon' cultivars!)because I have the 'lemon pothos', and it, too, will show a 'rogue' streak of dark green on a leaf or two here and there!

Anchorage, AK

oops! duplicate!

This message was edited May 21, 2009 6:52 PM

Anchorage, AK

Ah-ha! Good catch! Upon looking at the photo again I don't see variegation. Strange it was when first purchased. It is light enough to be the lemon (lemon-lime??).

KMiragliotta...what a cute kitty, and a nice plant as well! :) It almost looks like yours is a Hoya?

Fayetteville, NC

Yes Its a Hoya believe its Krimson Queen.

Anchorage, AK

Nice! As mentioned, very cute kitty! I love that he hides behind the plant & stuffed animal sometimes. LOL!
Do your Hoya flowers have a scent? I have been wanting to get a Hoya but I would like one with a scent & hopefully variegated foliage like yours.

Fayetteville, NC

Well I have had mine for about 6 months now Id say and they havent bloomed yet. I have read different post and some people say they can take up to 2 years to bloom. So, we will see. If you go to the Hoya forum there are different posts on there about blooms and different people describe the smell of them.

Yes, he is a character. If I were to put all the plants back up there he would hide between them. But, I had to take them down because he was knocking them over trying to get behind them. He is the baby of the 2 that I have and all of them love that window.

Pittsfield Twp, MI(Zone 5b)

KMira, your cat is beautiful, laying on that stuffed cat is too cute, and your hoya is gorgeous.

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

Beautiful cat, and hoya! Do they both require morning sun? LOL!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.