New Port plum tree

Sanford, MI

Does anyone know why a New Port plum will not grow? It is in zone 4 and it's alive but in two years it has barely grown. It has been watered at least once a week. Is there a special fertilizer that could help? It's does flower in the spring.

Any help would be appreciated,
gardenerbill

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Could be it just needs a little time--when you plant something it'll often take the first couple years to get established and get its roots going before it'll do much in the way of top growth. I'm sure someone else will have some advice on the best fertilization plan for these but I suspect the main reason you haven't seen a ton of growth is that it hasn't been in the ground long enough.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Their growth rate is categorized as slow. It may be doing just what it's supposed to do. If it's in full sun, receives adequate moisture and hasn't been planted too deeply ( buried root flare) then this is normal. In fact they are often used in Bonsai because of the slow growth rate.

http://hort.ufl.edu/trees/PRUCERB.pdf

Sanford, MI

I would like to thank ecrane3 and snapple45 for their help. I feel better about what's happening with the tree now. I'll certainly keep an eye on it.

Thanks again,
gardenerbill

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Enjoy it! A neighbor has one and I appreciate it every spring.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.