They took the P out of the NPK

Moss Point, MS(Zone 8b)

Phosphorus is an essential building block for every living cell. I have high hopes for an abundant garden this year and I can't believe this is happening. I wanted 2 sacks of fertilizer today and WM was the most convenient. In the past, they always had at least one kind of balanced fertilizer such as 10-10-10. All they had was 13-0-13. I read on the sack that they're concerned for the environment so they left it out. I'm still in shock.

There is no known substitute on the face of the earth. I called the only remaining seed & feed in the county and asked about buying phosphorus separately. "Out of stock. Check back on Tuesday." I was in such a flap that I forgot to ask about what she had that was "balanced".

Last year the price of phosphate rock went up by 700%. Since the product at WM won"t grow anything, I wonder why they are getting $14.95 for it. I guess if it actually had the right stuff it would cost $50. I posted about peak phosphorus last year and evidently the situation has the potential for devastating food prices. Here's an article about how the rest of the world is handling it.

http://www.cleantechblog.com/2009/01/peak-phosphorus-commence-urine-recyling.html

This thread has 21 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!