Gardenias question

Social Circle, GA(Zone 8a)

My neighbor is having her pool filled in and gave me a bunch of Gardenias and Azaleas that had been around it. My question is (so I know where to plant them) is are there any other types of Gardenias with the small leaves other than rubicans? That's what I THINK they are, but, I've never had a variety like this with such small leaves and I have no idea about them.....I have not seen the bloom, but will ask her if they look like rubicans.

Second question - is there anything I can do to make them more likely to live planting them this late? They sat out in her yard overnight. I picked them up after they'd sat out a whole day, planted the azaleas immediately and then put the Gardenias in a soak pending id.

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Jenks, I also do not know of another gardenia with small leaves other than radicans.

I bet they don't miss a beat if you plant them now. If we get a brutal spell, you may see some cold damage. I would just plant them right and mulch them.....What fun to get free shrubs! I'm sure you'll give them a good home.

Thank you cedar! I packed them good. I was worried they'd not make it! The azaleas have something...a rusty, dusty look. Know anything about azaleas? I think they need something.....fungicide? Debugging? I don't know! But yes, free shrubs are a marvelous thing! I got them all planted, though now I'm worried the azaleas may get too much sun, but I guess I can move them in the fall if so?

The only shrubs I had were rose of sharons.....I really cannot bring myself to like them. They're huge too. They fill up with uncontrollable beetles despite the praying mantids.

(Zone 7b)

Jenks thats why i dug up my rose's to many Japanese beetles they just ate all my blooms off all summer.

When I mow, if I go near the bushes, I wind up covered in them! Heebie jeebies just thinking of their little claws sticking to me. Bleck. I hate to spray insecticide because of run-off, but I may have to find something this year....

Winterville, GA(Zone 8a)

I hear milky spore kills the grubs, thus no Japanese beetles (at least from your yard)

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

We've used milky spore and it does help eliminate beetles. But you have to reapply every couple years and its pretty expensive. Don't hang up those beetle traps for sure. All it does is attract them to your yard.

Barnesville, GA(Zone 7b)

we hang the beetle traps right on the property line of our "nasty" neighbor, about 1000 feet from anything I care about!!

Ha! Thanks! I'll look up the milky spore!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.