colored newspaper

Gallitzin, PA

Hey guys. I'm making my bedding for my compost bin and i have a question. All the newspaper seems to have colored photos in them. I am not using the store add papers from walmart,sears ect. Is this ok.

Everything I've ever heard or read says never use colored ink, but that usually means glossy paper, too, so if your colored pics are in regular newspaper, that might be different.

In other words, maybe somebody else will know the answer to this one, and we will both learn something new:>)

Palmer, AK(Zone 2a)

I think the regular black and white newsprint with the occasional colored picture is fine. At least I've never noticed a problem. I figure as long as I avoid the glossy pages and the comics, I'm good to go. :)

But I do avoid putting in the pages that are all, or nearly all, colored.

Chillicothe, OH

Be safe, why not. Especially yellow pigment is very poisonous, I hear. I'd go door to door begging for newspaper before I'd put a colored bit of newsprint in the bin.

And I probably *will* before I'm through too-HA!

Melis (there are other things you can use: cardboard, McYouknowwho's coffeecarriers, packing paper, peatmoss, leaves, packing paper...)

Oriental, NC(Zone 8a)

I use all parts of my newspaper in my garden except for the slick paper. I have been doing this since they came out with soy based ink. Here is a link that may help you decide what is best for you and your garden:

http://blog.pennlive.com/gardening/2008/10/toxins_in_newspaper_mulch.html

Helen

Chillicothe, OH

well, yeah, Helen, but we're talking worm bins, not in the garden. Soil can break down amazing things, but not so sure about the little wormies. Don't want to poison the little critters.

Indian Harbour Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

I've been told by one of the owners of a worm place that the newspaper inks today are safe; just don't use the glossy pages.

I shred fine all the newspaper, colored ink included except the glossy. Worms don't seem to know the difference and I've not had a problem.

Buffalo, NY

Same thing, never had a problem with any part of the newspaper, I just avoid the glossy's, I too though have been told that today's glossy magazines are non toxic, by a newspaper man.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.