Securing a hoop house for high winds

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

I'm looking for folks input and experience on how to secure a high tunnel hoop house in an area that experiences some pretty high winds... today we're looking at an average of 37 MPH, with gusts higher. I've purchased a FarmTek high tunnel, but before I break it out of the box, I want to know how to strap it down, prevent billowing of the greenhouse fabric. It's 14' x 24' (I think; I bought it before the price went up last month), so not huge.

I've read about elastic cording to stretch over the top, but have no idea where to find it. I've also seen the webbing that's recommended for over the hoops. Any experience with either of these systems would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jay

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

We have had success with black batten tape, secured with tent stakes. Maybe that's the webbing you've seen recommended. We've used it for four yrs now on temporary backyard ghs.

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

I think the batten tape is a little wider than the cord - or there's this stuff that this site is calling strapping tape, see what you think:

http://www.growerssolution.com/page/GS/PROD/BT/Strapping

Russellville, AL(Zone 7a)

roll 1x1x12 into your fabric or plastic and screw into the wooded sides or bolt into the frame

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

I have hoop houses and I have treated 2' x 6' frame at the base that the hoops are attached to, and every 3' I have 1" black pipe (you could use rebar, but black pipe is thicker and stronger) sunk into the ground and it is attached to the wood. My houses have never moved, but I also have the gable ends closed off with plastic so that helps. But even if you have them open, the black pipe (I sunk it down 3') is going to stop the moving. I used uclamps to hold the pipe to the wood and stainless steel screws.

Yeah, I had helped a friend erect her hoop house - the poles that the hoops attached to were only sunk about 1', so after that blew down (grrr!) we did it for about 2'+.

Sorry, I thought the wood around the bottom was a standard, didn't think of mentioning it.

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

No, that's not the question I was asking. Thanks, though.

I'm wondering about how to stop the top from billowing. I've seen mention of ArborTie, or elastic cording over the top. Also came across a site yesterday that talked about opening the hoop house completely in the event of storms with high winds... above 50 mph. Has anyone else ever heard of that?

We routinely get over 50 mph winds in the spring and around our thunderstorms. The heaving of the cover will work posts right out of the ground. I'm trying to prevent that.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

This is the black batten tape on temporary gh I've just opened up. We live at the top of a hill and get gusty winds. Have not had a problem with lifting, as the batten tape, secured at ground with tent stakes, holds the plastic down. (the pvc pipe is slipped over rebar) Doesn't look so great in winter, but cetainly serves it's purpose.

Thumbnail by bigbubbles
Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

From what I can make out, you've taken the batten tape over diagonally? How long are the tent stakes?
Envying your tropical paradise.... sigh. =o)
Jay

Yeah, look at the link above, then.

Edited to add: I've seen them straight across and I've seen them at a diagonal, kinda like shoe laces.

This message was edited Mar 8, 2009 12:51 PM

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Lost my post to you, but here's the temp. gh attached to patio. You can see the tape is diagonally attached. North wide blows from right of gh. On the other pic, the north wind hits full force on the entire side. Before the batten tape, the plastic would lift, pull the pipe off the rebar, and wind up in the neighbors' yard. And we frequently have winds of 45mph...as recently as last week.
Tent stakes are about 10"....driven in at an angle. Hope that helps!...

Thumbnail by bigbubbles
Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Mmm, yes. Looks like they've got it attached to the batten board. I got some from Peaceful Valley; I was going to run it over the rafters on another project, so this use is new to me. The link's price seems better.

My high tunnel will have roll up sides. Hmmm... maybe two strap systems, one for the top and one for the curtains?

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

BB... that is completely and totally what I want to build, after I get this high tunnel sorted out. =0) I had the same thing happen with my 'quick and dirty' over the tomatoes last year, even with doubled 1 x 4 batten boards the whole length... just lofted on day, lifted right off the rebar. The wind had ripped the end panel off and voila! 10' x 30' parachute! Well, we were done with the tomatoes, anyway. LOL

How have you done the ends?

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Sending link to how we put up the gh in winter. If you can 'slog thru' the first 1/3 of posts, I have pics of how the small one attaches to house. As for the ends....we use 20' x 100' plastic, cut to fit, and leave plenty on ends to fold and secure with clamps on each end. One end, I usually open to get in to water, then reclamp. GH by the patio has small door...
Everything comes apart in March and gets stored out of sight.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/674265/

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Thanks, I'll slog through tonight. =o)

Wells, TX(Zone 8b)

just a suggestion for those of you using tent stakes.. instead of them get some dog tie outs.. the kind that twist into the ground.. those you dont have to worry about coming out no matter what. I use them to tie my easyup in place during my art shows and Ive never had my tent come down because of wind.. yes they do cost more than tent stakes but are well worth the peace of mind...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.