Employment opportunities

Plainfield, NJ(Zone 6b)

Hi, I posted this in Farm Life, but I thought I would post here also since I live in NJ.

I find myself with a lot of time on my hands nowadays since I was, like many others, laid of from my job last year.
I have always had an interest in farming, especially organic farming and horticulture, and I don't really want to return to my previous occupation.
I was wondering if anyone has started a farming business or knows of any opportunities. I live in central New Jersey.
Many thanks

North Augusta, ON

I believe every State has a farm labour pool? We have them up here too. When I was younger and in better shape that is what I did. put my name in the pool and when farmers needed help they'd call. Usually only a couple days work, but lots of variety and the pay was always cash.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Unemployment agency should have that info...of course Corzine wanted to disband the dept of agriculture....hello we're the "garden" state

Do you have any land?

Plainfield, NJ(Zone 6b)

Hi Schickenlady,
I only have my back and front yards. This is enough fo me to grow vegetables for my own and friends' use.
Nick

Have you established your gardens yet?

Plainfield, NJ(Zone 6b)

Hi Sherrie,
The gardens have been in place for several years now and I dig in compost every year. I haven't planted anything yet - there is still snow on the ground and it is frozen in places. But today we started getting some warmer weather - the end of winter I hope.
Nick

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Maybe you could check with your County Extension OFfice. They might have some leads for you.

Yes, hopefully the end of winter.

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Hi Nick. Welcome to the NE Forum! I hope you are able to connect with someone, as I can't imagine what could be a more satisfying career jump to make since you like growing things! I wish you lived closer to our farm in NH! LOL Best of luck, and let us know how you are doing in your search.
Louise

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.