Phila Flower Show "mini" Clematis

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

This Clematis X Cartmanii "Joe" was on display at the Phila Flower Show, took 1st place BTW. I haven't had a chance to look this up yet. Does anyone have some info on this mini clematis. Is it a mini or is it just the way this one was grown. There is also a smaller one similar but not sure if the same one, that is sitting in front. It was growing on a small round trellis probably not more than a10 to 12 inch ring .

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

holly, I don' t know a thing about the mini's. I have all large bloomers, but I REALLY like these! Thanks for posting. Off to do some research! lol

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

It was growing in a small shallow pot.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

wow, roots much not be that big or something

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Beautiful picture, Holly!

I think it was grown and trained that way for the show. If you grow Clematis in a small shallow pot the roots will become bound together, stunting the height of the vine and eventually the number of flowers. Clematis that are grown in containers are usually potted up to begin with in a 1 gallon container until the roots grow out the bottom. Then I would transplant it to a 3 gallon pot and so on....

I looked it up in PlantFiles. This particular variety is suppose to grown 4-6ft tall, so it could definitely be grown in a large container. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/101106/

This message was edited Mar 6, 2009 4:50 PM

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks Shirley, it wasn't more than 2 or 3 ft at most. Very pretty and I haven't seen anything like it. Just didn't have the time today to do much digging and thought maybe someone would be familiar with it. Grown kind of like a Bonsai? I may look in to that when I have more time.

(Zone 4a)

What a pretty clem!!! I love how small and cute it looks....the blooms are just amazing too!!!

Delaware, OH

check the zone of the cartmanii joe. not hardy in many of the zones posting here. i have always drooled over this one in MaryToomeys encyclopedia of clematis. but alas, hothouse only in my zone.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.