Packing for the big move. Can I take it.

silver spring, MD(Zone 7a)

I'm packing up my plants to take with us when we move this spring/summer to Detroit and I need some advice. I have an Hydrangea tree and I would like to take it with me. These things cost a fortune and I hate to leave it behind. Any suggestions on how to manage this.

Thanks
Yehudith

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Consider this as if you were simply transplanting from one place in the garden into another. Or consider as if you had decided to grow the shrub in a pot. Try to remove as much of the rootball as possible and as practical. If you can, have the planting location already dug up and ready prior to moving. For 10' high hydrangea it should be in 4.5-5' wide range. Water the plant the evening before you dig it up. The idea is not to let the root ball dry out while en route but keep in mind that the water will make the plant heavy so get some help. Place the root ball in plastic or use burlap. During transport, do not expose the leaves to the wind or they will dry out quickly and burn. Covered trucks are ok but ck internal temperatures; pick ups with a tarp are also ok. Plant as soon as possible. Maintain the soil moist (in Detroit) as often as is possible. If the leaves wilt and the soil is moist enough, mist the leaves each day until they recover. Skip fertilizing on your first year. Just use a weak fertilizer if you really must have to fertilize; this is an organic weak fertilizer, what a plant needs when it is undergoing transplant shock. Mulch well. By the way, the best time to transplant is when the shrub is dormant but I understand that this may not be possible. If this plant has some special value for you, consider propagating it before you transplant it.

Water transpiration may be reduced further by shrinking the total leaf surface of the shrub. You can either (a) strip off half of the leaves on each stem or (b) cut half of each leaf on the lower portion of each stem (the lower 2/3 or so).

This message was edited Mar 8, 2009 6:32 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.