Gidday!

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Weeeellllllll, wot's up Doc?
Me? I say's " TGIF"! (thank god it's friday)
It's a tough life, but hey.........someones gotta live it! st-st-st-st-st
he, he

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Merino, Australia

Love him Sue, Enjoy your weekend . Jean.

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Thanks Jean. I wish I could get as relaxed!

Coushatta, LA

Hi Sue, you are so very lucky.I love the animals around their.It's neat how you all can enjoy the beautiful animals.

Cody

noonamah, Australia

I get inundated with Agile Wallabies around my place. We call them "Fragile Wallabies" coz they're not so agile after they've done a round or two with a car. Definitely no road sense. I've got an electric fence to keep out the feral pigs. Made it low enough for the wallabies to get over it easily, even the young ones. But every now and then some of them upset part of the garden and I threaten to raise the electric fence. They still don't take any notice.

Sydney, Australia

Tropicbreeze is right. They are the same at Sussex. They will bound along the road next to you then inexplicably side step in front of the car. Doh!
Sometime wish I was a dumb animal (or am I???)
Budgie

Skippy ....

Coffs Harbour, Australia

HI Cody, I am glad you liked the picture. We kind of take it for granted, as there are Kangaroos galore in this neck of the woods!
We are a fenced property in a rather open grassed estate, so the roos usually prefer the lazy option of eating grass on unfenced land. They will come in if the gates are left open over night, and the dogs make the most of the 'bush lollies' they leave behind! EEEwwww!
Most of the residents here are mindfull of the roos, as they are rather large and cause considerable damage to vehicles when hit. The population of large males is a bit of cause for concern as of late, and it isn't safe to walk on your own if you are slight! I guess someone will order a cull in the near future. I take the dogs when i go walking and we are never challenged.
Another visitor to the garden

This message was edited Mar 8, 2009 11:08 PM

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coushatta, LA

Hi Sue,sorry to hear that it's not safe to walk because of the huge population of the Kangaroos in your area.I thought that they would run the other way not come up to you.If they are friendly i think it would be neat to be able to pet one.If not friendly it would be scarey.The Kangaroos their are like the Deer here,that people hit them and it damage the vehicles.Just think you are bless to be their.I just love the accent over their and the animals are very different their.Take care and stay safe.

Cody

Sydney, Australia

Hi weedwoman,
Love the "Bush Lollies" term. Have not heard that before but have you ever wondered about their packaging system? Same with rabbits. All proportioned pellets. Maybe my mind is too active?
Kangaroos sit around the main street of Sussex in the evening and early morning then disappear to wherever during the day. There was one next door for several weeks just munching away.
On the other side a family of rabbits has moved in because the lazy %(#%&#! won't mow. All vermin of various size. Ah well. That's conservation for you.
Steve

Coushatta, LA

Steve,sounds like you all are just in a world of animals out their.

Cody

Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

Sue, love the pic.of the very large rabbit. What do you call them? LOL Lee

Barmera, Australia

G'Day Lee, Your eyes need testing anyone can see that it's not a rabbit but one of the grasshoppers a lot are complaining about.
Brian

Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

Brian, thanks, Indeed my contacts/glasses need changing or I need bilateral eye transplants. LOL
It amazes us in the States that many people can just walk outside and see such wonderful creatures such as the kangaroos, koalas, etc. I'm sure for you Aussies, it's nothing to find that interesting but I find it fascinating.
I'm aware that some get their feathers ruffled about so many foreigners focusing so much on the kangaroos, koalas, platypus, etc. but for us they are so very exotic. Other animals/plants you have are just as fascinating but the aformentioned are what most people are most familiar.
What we walk out to esp. at night are raccoons, o'possums, coyotes and in some instances around here, black bears and we've become accustomed to them and don't pay much attention to them.
If you can figure out a way, then send me one of those 'grasshoppers' and I'll find some use for it. What would you suggest?
Until later, Brian, Lee

Barmera, Australia

G'Day Lee, It's probably politically incorrect but big bucks like that make very good leather for bootlaces, woven belts and stock whips. The tail makes good Roo-tail soup or stew much like Oxtail but you get more for your money both in length and amount of meat. If you want a pet then the photo shows you pretty well what you get.
These are wild roos that come into the nursery where I worked, photo taken just before sunrise.
Brian

Thumbnail by Stake
Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

Brian, thanks for your response and the pic. I think the lighting is wonderful! Are they destructive to plants? If so, what do you do to minimize the damage?
I think I might be able to eat kangaroo if I didn't know what it was.
Once an older friend asked me over for dinner of dumplings. I looked at the meat and it didn't look like chicken which is the standard fare for chicken and dumpling. She told me it was squirrel and Brian for the life of me, I couldn't eat a bite and tried to be as gracious as possible in my refusing them. I just told her that I wasn't used to game and I just couldn't eat it. Now, had she not told me what it was, I'd have eaten it and probably liked it.
I don't eat venison either and I am quite the meat and potatoes kind of guy.
My mother used to say that if anyone could eat oysters on the half shell, as I once did, then they could eat anything.
Again, thanks and I certainly do mean I like very much the color of the pics. of the kangaroos. Was the coloring intentional or quite by accident?
Take care, lee

Christchurch, New Zealand

lol - Lee there was a song years ago 'Who Put the Roo in the Stew'...
bit of a scandal with the beef being substituted for kangaroo.
I call my dog Roo...
and every so often he is threatened with ending up as Roo Stew.
I love him dearly but he can be wicked!
I looked up earlier to see him heading out with my brand new cap in his mouth.
I have learned never to chase or growl when he has something important, I praise him & swap the item for a treat.
The night he picked up the Sky remote we were very glad I had trained him that way.
If he had chomped down hard it would have ended in tears, as it was he happily gave it up with just one souvenir tooth mark on it:)

Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

Teresa, you continue to make me laugh!
Have you ever eaten kangaroo?
You've done well training your dogs. Mine, before he ran away, would have chomped down and swallowed the thing. As wicked as these cats are, I'd not be surprised if they'd try the same thing.
Until later, Lee

Merino, Australia

Brian, that is a lovely photo. i do like the light effect. a nice lot of steaks there for me. I love eating kangaroo and emu and goat. Nothing like a nice pan of kangaroo , bacon, onion and potato. Sliced thickly, no water, cover with lid, low heat, then eat. Yummy. These days I have to buy my roo in the supermarket which is just not the same.
We have the odd one that comes through but not often.
Brian you mentioned it is like oxtail. have you ever just baked a roo tail in the oven . With the skin on and just a dry pan. It is so juicy and sticky and the skin peels off. Makes very lovely brawn too as it sets in it's own juices.
better stop. I am making myself hungry. I would prefer a roast leg of a nice wild goat over a lamb roast any time.
From all this you would know I spent a lot of time in the bush when living in WA.
Sorry Sue, hijacked your thread with food thoughts. These people started on food and made me think of it all
Jean.

Barmera, Australia

There's a lot of questions to answer so I'll probably miss some. The light is just natural, just before sunrise on what will be a very hot day. The Roos can do a lot of damage by eating the young plants but what is worse if two bucks decide to have a brawl the damage they do to young plants with those great big tails has to be seen to be believed. The most effective deterrent we found was to string coloured streamers around the patch using that sparkly stuff quite often seen at service stations etc. These cheeky sods used to get into the fruiting trees (mainly peaches and nectarines) and pick the fruit up as high as they could reach. Must say they only seemed to take the ripe fruit but a big Buck standing up can reach pretty high into the trees. I've never tried the tail in its skin method but I do like Roo stew or braise and before protection a roast leg with gravy and veg went down OK. I also liked the goat and I don't reckon you could tell the difference taste wise to mutton. Now we don't eat mutton only lamb and rarely Hoggett so I suppose there would be a different taste.
Have to go and do the dishes so that's enough for now.
Brian

Inland S.E QLD , Australia

I'm staring to feel a little squemish ...no rabbit, roo , possum,venison or goat stew or whatever for me ...I know I know ...all you wild game eaters.....but I just can't .....
Sue...He looks so laid back ,not a care in the world....green froggy's cute too!

Christchurch, New Zealand

I've never had roo...
tried croc & buffalo & used to make a nice goat curry.
It was sold as 'chevine' here.
Haven't seen it or bunny in the supermarket in a few years.
I mentioned hogget having a better flavour to one of my US friends & she had never heard of it...
funny thing she was raising a few sheep at the time.
cheers - teresa

barmera, Australia

Dalfyre, I had the same trouble when I asked for Hoggett in Victoria once. They call them 2tooth. I don't care what they call it I still think that it has a better taste than lamb. Have never eaten goat that I know of. Mum might have dished it up to us and didn't tell us but as long as we got something to eat we didn't care. I can remember the days when we only had a home-killed chook for Christmas and Easter Sunday, never at any other time, but now people seem to eat it all the time. Always fish on Good Friday. Now if you dont like fish it's okay to eat chicken. Anyway just thought that I would put my two bobs worth in. Colleen.

Sydney, Australia

I have to agree. My husband absolutely loves roo and goat. The goat we can get at halal butchers but the roo (unless you want expensive supermarket stuff) we buy in bulk from a company that exports. We buy 50kgs, all crivac'd (spelling?) and throw it in the freezer. Its the best you can expect living in the city :( Nice bit of roast rump...mmmmm...*drool*...its about lunchtime as well!

thingymajig

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Who would've thought this thread would turn so , well........... I mean........food for thought?
I remember when there was a situation in NZ because the hamburger meat was thought to have kangaroo in it instead of beef? And kangaroo is often sold as pet food. There seems to be no shortage of Kangaroos in Australia, so why aren't we farming or exporting it? Or are we?
I have eaten emu pies and crocodile pies (and make it snappy) and in NZ had venison at a restaurant. I'd probably try anything once! I'm sure we've probably all eaten cat, wether we knew it at the time........? he, he.
Hello thingymajig. Now I'm hungry!
Poor old man kangaroo!

Sydney, Australia

Hi weed_woman. yep we definitely export kangaroo meat, but where to I don't know. The stuff we buy has export info and certificate numbers etc all over it. And yes we always fed our cats on kangaroo mince - they grew to be big strong bruisers on it. Considering that kangaroos are prolific breeders I have no qualms about chewing down on some roo steak

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.