Looking for tall planters

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

I'm hoping that someone may have a suggestion for me on where to find a planter similar to the one that Jackson and Perkins is currently offering for $99. I would like two of them to place on the top of my front steps. The currently large containers that I have are too short for me to use smaller flowers in. The taller planters would allow me to use petunias, and shorter zinnias and still make a good impact.

This is the Jackson and Perkins photo, and their link.

http://www.jacksonandperkins.com/gardening/PD/38798/

Thumbnail by pennefeather
Ames, NE(Zone 5b)

pennefeather Have look at Self-contained Box Gardens forum .Very unique.planters.From BocaBob

Kerrville, TX

Go directly to www.instagarden.com for a variety of vertical gardens. The owners actually use what they sale and represent about three different manufacturers o vertical growing systems.

Carmel, IN(Zone 5b)

Last year, Lowes carried a 3-tier planter, similar to what is displayed in your photo. Each tier was graduated in size, so the largest planter was on the bottom, and the smaller on top. Total height is about 4 feet. It was in a bronze-color metal, and even came with the coco liners for about $40.00.

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Mom2Goldens, that sounds like what I am looking for.

I will check out the other forum Tubbytee, and thank you for the link Jaywhacker.

Carmel, IN(Zone 5b)

I have one of the planters from Lowes I described to you--it has been outside during our Zone 5 winter, and has held up very well. I think the planters were about 20", 14" and 8" in diameter. Hope they carry something similar this year. The stacking planters/vertical gardens mentioned at website above also look really great.
Last year, the tiered planters were with their more "decorative" garden items, rather than with the regular planters. Hope you find what you're looking for.

Kerrville, TX

Here is a look at my vertical stackers.

Thumbnail by Jaywhacker
Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

Jay

I really enjoy my vertical stacker blooming on my deck, and so do all my visitors.

Thumbnail by ROSES_R_RED
(Lynn) Paris, TX(Zone 7b)

I found an unusually tall fiberglass one at Big Lots last year. I always forget about them, and you have to stop by often, because you never know what they'll have. I don't have a picture of it.

Kerrville, TX

I like your choice of flowers, Roses. Someone that knows how to mix and match colors can have a ball with stackers. Im not very sophisticated when it comes to combining colors but now and then I just go nuts and run around swapping one pot from one stack to another. Those smaller stackers are really handy for sitting or hanging around patios aren't they. And the slightly larger ones can mass produce a lot of vegetables and flowers. I find myself growing vege's and flowers together on the same stack.

Jay,

This arrangement was a no brainer. I just bought a flat of begonias at the nursery and put them in every place where I had a space. Last year I had to use the nursery for my new gardens since we had moved and had NO landscaping in the new place. This year I have tons of stuff from all over Daves' Garden co-ops (all kinds of seeds, tubers, bulbs, trees, perennials, tropicals, etc. and etc.)

I could never have afforded to fill in all the boring 2 acres of lawn here without the help of the DG offerings (plants and advice included).

Yay for the members of Dave's Garden!!!!!!!!!!!
'

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Hey ROSES
That was my experience also. I moved and share a house w/kids
The new garden space is 10 times what tho old one was.
I found DG last March and have expanded my garden dreams .I planted a lot of bulbs and perenns.
Looked OK last year, now I am waiting to see what this year brings.Its the "creep"year.

Reno, NV

I'm planning on making tispsy pots by the front door.
(http://www.gardensandcrafts.com/tipsypots.html)
That link seems to have the best instructions but I really like the look of it with graduated pot sizes. Googeling it in images will bring up a bunch of ideas.

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

made my own tall planter...

Had the base planter... had hubby cut me a metel rod down to size...3 white pots from $ store... tall white plastic cups from $ store to use
between pots as extra support in the middle.

Thumbnail by DIRTYGIRL71

What a great idea Dirtygirl!! Gonna get right on it.

Thank you,

Teri

Navarre, FL(Zone 8b)

http://www.nextag.com/planter-tier/search-html
Talk about variety!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I made a 4 tier planter with nursery pots, washers & ready-rod.

Thumbnail by joannabanana
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Here's another

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Here's a 3 -tier similar to what you were looking for

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

& from last summer

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

joanna, could you explain how you did the 3 tier? it is gorgeous and I happen to have lots of wave petunias this year.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Here's a pic of it unplanted. I put sphagnum moss & also line it with plastic (we are very dry here) with a few drain holes. The baskets are 13-1/2" wide and about 6-1/2" deep. I usually plant 2 waves, 1 calibrachoa, 3 bacopa and 1 other basket stuffer such as scaevola in the middle. I use Premier BX potting soil and Smart-Cote 14-14-14 Hanging Basket slow release fertilizer. Also, end of July and onward, I apply the water soluble Miracle Grow Ultra Bloom. I will plant this a couple of weeks.

Edit to say, that planting combo is for each basket

This message was edited Apr 22, 2009 1:42 PM

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Now that I've reviewed last years picture...really need to move that Daylily.

ok, how did you do the one with nursery pots?

Ocala, FL(Zone 9a)

Back in MI, I had a bunch of graduated sized "bowl" planters (you know, the plastic that looks like terracotta?) and wanted to stack them on a pole.

So I brainstormed with my big brudder - he rigged some kind of rod through the middle separating the bowls (with washers & nuts maybe??) while covering the rods between each bowl with a length of PVC. 'Twas easy to just use Krylon spray paint on the PVC to match the bowls.

Could KICK myself now for leaving them behind during our move, but my cousin's enjoying them!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I usually put 4 waves in the bottom, 3 in the next 2 in the next & 1 on the top. I like to put bacopa in between the waves on each level. Ready rod has the threads & I hold the pots in place with nuts & washers.

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Joanna, I saw your three tier on one of the annuals threads, and admired it then, as well as now.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I love petunias & they look spectacular well into the fall. The best is I start them from seed so they are extra special. I forgot to mention about y home-made 4 tier, I put a wooden X (drill a hole thru it for the ready-rod) to add stability to the pots. Over the years, the pots get a little flexible & the washer wasn't large enough to hold them straight. This will be the 5th year using the same materials, with the added wooden X 2 years ago.

I'm not sure what you mean by wooden X, can you explain a bit more? And do you put the ready-rod into the ground and how far? Thanks! (hubby has ready-rods at work, woohoo, I'm getting one tomorrow)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Not in the ground. I place the entire thing on a wheely planter base...then I can move it. You can see the wood X in the picture. Basically 2 pieces of wood in an X arrangement directly under the wood.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Here's a pic of the pots & assembly

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

My mistake, I only put one piece of wood under each pot. No X, although a X would be more stable. It was fine for the first few years, but when I added the wood it was much better

This message was edited Apr 23, 2009 8:12 AM

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Yes, that is snow & there are no annuals outside yet, except for a few pansies. I few more weeks.. can't wait

Thanks for the extra pictures, so sorry you still have snow.

(Lynn) Paris, TX(Zone 7b)

Not a tall planter, but a plant stand I found yesterday at Tuesday Morning

Thumbnail by lrwells50
Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

I've started using a few stands in the landscape bed too. Give it a bit of drama at various heights.

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

I found the perfect planter at Smith and Hawkins. I don't see it on the website, but it is 25" high, and 18" wide. This is the perfect height for my front door. They look like overgrown terracota pots (nothing fancy), but they are fiberglass.

My next question is what should I put on the bottom so that I am not filling this entire container with dirt?

Bricks for weight?? Soda cans? I've used packing peanuts before, too.

This message was edited Apr 28, 2009 9:54 PM

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

I did find some packing peanuts. Staples and Office Depot only sell the biodegradable one now, so I had to search for regular ones. I am hoping to put this container together tonight. Should I use landscape fabric on top of the peanuts and soil on top of that or try to find a smaller pot that will fit into the container. There is no drainage hole on this pot.

Since it is a larger container, I was thinking about putting a canna in each one surrounded by petunias, and lobelia and some silver falls. ( I have a lot of cannas thanks to the coop.) Originally, I was thinking of gloriosa daisies or irish eyes or even cherry brandy (all rubeckias). I also have some marigolds and shorter zinnias. All of these are plants that I have started from seeds. The window boxes that are on the railings are going to have petunias, gerbers and lobelias. Then the other pots on the steps will have marigolds, and petunias. The two larger plantes will be right beside the front door.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.