Chocolate Basil? Still searching...

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

The search for the elusive chocolate basil continues onto yet another thread... We've got a lot of enthusiastic gardeners on the prowl for it, and some have come close to tracking it down, but so far I don't think anybody has put their hands on one.

If anybody does find a plant, please please keep it isolated from other basils (in space or in time, by pruning off flower buds of others so they can't cross) and SAVE SEEDS! :-)

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/950343/

Thumbnail by critterologist
Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Maybe a quick recap is in order.
-------------------------
Missouri Botanic Gardens says:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=6166756
Potagere reports:

Quoting:
Here's a new one: from the Research Librarian at the Herb Society of America.

"This email is in response to your question about the existence of
Chocolate Basil.

Checking all of the normal places that a cultivar of basil would be
listed, I found no mention of Chocolate basil. Although I cannot say for
sure that it doesn't exist, I suspect it doesn't.

It is not listed in PlantInformation online, Royal Horticultural
Society, Tropicos.

Basil was herb of the year in 2003. It was not mentioned in any of the
publications.

None of the books in the HSA collection specifically written about
basil and it's cultivars mentioned Chocolate basil. Some of the
authors are: Thomas DeBaggio, Susan Belsinger, Helen Darrah, Dr. Arthur
Tucker, etc.

I strongly suspect it doesn't exist.

Helen M. Tramte
Horticultural Librarian
The Herb Society of America"

NOs from
Ricther Herbs
Cooks Garden
Ball Horticulture
Pantry Garden Herbs
Nichols Nursery
Burpee (http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=6140495)
Chocolate Flower Farms

Sightings:
Fairchild Botanical Gardens
Quoting:
We were suppose to get them, but they didn't have it in stock.
"they" is Kings Foliage Nursery. Contacted, but no response. http://www.kingsfoliage.com/
Union Square Market NY
Lowes or Home Depot

Dave's Garden Poetry Slam on Chocolate Basil at the top of thread #2. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/950343/#new

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Marna!

Eunice, MO(Zone 5b)

Don't forget the email that I got from Burpee telling to check Daves Garden for it! That one is still my favorite LOL

Yah. it's in there.

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

I'm planting some basil next to my chocolate daisies. Problem solved!

I'm going to dip basil leaves in chocolate. problem solved

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Tess & Jeff - Always Summer Herbs

Sorry, don't have it. Took a look from my suppliers, did not see it.
Kind regards,
Tess & Jeff

Eunice, MO(Zone 5b)

Google can't find it so I am inclined to believe that it no longer exists for some reason. It is the first time google has failed me in a quest. I am not certain that I can handle the disappointment.

POTTSBORO, TX(Zone 7b)

Well-- no one seemed to be interested in my Chocolate Basil cultivar from Pennsylvania so I feed it to the cat.

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

Google has failed me several times - and my DH calls me the queen of searches - don't be faint of heart.

Eunice, MO(Zone 5b)

You know how it is. Your first is always the one you never forget and chocolate basil was the first.

Conneaut, OH(Zone 5a)

Planted magical mike seeds in hersheys syrup.I just know this is gonna work.I don't mean to toot my own horn,but I'm on to something here. Yes Critter I sterilized it first.You all are just jealous, because you didn't think of it.I was going to read the other 2 threads on chocolate basil,but I only have 1 day off this week.OMG give it up alreadyLOL,Edge

POTTSBORO, TX(Zone 7b)

Will never ever give up Edge----one can only prove that it does exist (by finding it)--it is not possibe to prove that something does not exist. I was going to send Chocolate Basil to herbalbetty if she had not been so cranky.
Believe that?---:)

Conneaut, OH(Zone 5a)

Vortreker,Herbalbetty is giving us both that"mother's look of disgust".Can you feel it?Edge

Middleburgh, NY

YOU KIDS! Now, knock it off before I come up there and give you something to be sorry about!

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

Well, I'm taking Dorthy's method from the Wizard of OZ...I'm going out to the garden...and I'm going to stand over the basil plant w/ the Hersey's Chocolate something seed that VORT sent me, only I'm going to say ( since as yet the basil plant doesn't speak) "You will make chocolate basil seeds, you will make chocolate basil seeds, you will make chocolate basil seeds........while clicking my heels together..............
ok...I may be suffering from garden/Coronna overload from yesterday.

This message was edited Mar 8, 2009 6:02 AM

NE Medina Co., TX(Zone 8a)

Well, I phoned the local herb farm. They said there is no such thing! But they also didn't have the Cuban Mojito Mint I asked them about. Oh well! They couldn't have been LESS helpful! The place in Canada that has it requires customers to order a bunch and I'm not exactly wealthy.

Eunice, MO(Zone 5b)

Canada has what? Cuban mint or chocolate basil?

NE Medina Co., TX(Zone 8a)

Oh, the Cuban Mojito Mint I wanted. Sorry!

Eunice, MO(Zone 5b)

You are a big tease! I was about to start a chocolate basil co-op and go to Canada and get the stuff! Guess I gotta cancel those plane tickets. I got a ticket for each plant so they could come home with me.

I just saw some Mojito mint at the Chicago Flower and Garden Show. I crushed some in my fingers but didn't smell any rum. LOL.

Greensboro, AL

Hello Basil Lovers!

I was just contacted by Rose Marie MaGee of Nichols Nursery. She had a lead that Spring Valley Nursery had chocolate basil. When she called there the guy said, 'of course' ... but when she checked it out, there was no chocolate basil.

I think the best lead so far has been the Union Station Market in NYC?

A lot of people are looking for this!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I got so excited when I saw Canada in the chocolate basil thread! Too bad it's not true :'(

Eunice, MO(Zone 5b)

Yeah I had a moment of excitement also then noticed that actually two plants were being discussed. Darn Canada has the wrong one.

POTTSBORO, TX(Zone 7b)

Neat table. Be sure and check out the "C's"

BASIL VARIETIES TABLE
There are basically three types of basil - annual (A), tender perennial (TP) (treated as annuals or pot plants in the north) and (HP) hardy perennial (only one variety). All require full sun and rich soil. Most are used for culinary purposes, except where noted. All are susceptible to fusarium.

African Blue Ocimum 'African Blue' (TP) Large, attractive purplish-blue leaves on tall plant. Leaf veins, flower spikes and stems are purple. Sweet camphor scent. Possible hybrid between dark opal basil and one of the camphor basils. Does not grow from seed, but does reproduce readily from cuttings.

Anise (or licorice) O. b. 'Anise' (A) Strong anise fragrance. Light purple flowers.

Ararat O.b. 'Ararat' (A) Foliage splashed with purple markings. Sweet flavor with licorice overtones.

Ball O. 'Tufted' (A) Nice compact form with purple flowers.

Bush O.b. minimum (A) Dwarf form, small leaves. Good in pots.

Bush, Greek O.b. minimum (A) Improved variety of 'Bush' with tight compact growing habit. Good pot plant.

Camphor O. kilimandescharicum (TP) Strong camphor odor. White flowers. Not a culinary variety, but used medicinally and as a commercial source of camphor.

Cinnamon O.b. 'Cinnamomum' (A) Distinct cinnamon aroma. Sprigs placed in vases to ward off insects at the table (Mexico). Pink flowers.

Chocolate O.b. ‘Nestle' (HP) Brown flowers. Grows only in S. Alabama and subject to severe predation by Bigfoot and Loch Nestle.

Cuban O.b. 'Cuban' (TP) White flowers.

Dark Opal O.b. 'Dark Opal' (A) Dark purple leaves. Especially attractive made up as vinegar. Developed at the Univ. of Connecticutt in 1962.

Dwarf Bouquet O.b. 'D.B.' (A) White flowers.

Dwarf Fino Verde O.b. 'Fino Verde' (A)

Dwarf Italian Ocimum 'D.I' (A) White flowers.

East Indian O. gratissimum (TP) Large, greyish-green, velvety leaves with clove scent and spicy flavor. Used in India as a cold remedy.

Fino Verde O.b. 'Piccolo F.V.' (A) Fine leaved variety excellent for all basil uses. Makes great pesto.

Genova O. americanum 'Genoa profumatissima' (A) Also known as Perfume Basil.

Genovese O.b. 'Genovese' (A) Well known for making pesto. Two varieties are – Special Select FT (Richter's exclusive) and Compatto FT (Richter's exclusive), a compact form.

Green Globe O.b. minimum 'G. G.' (A) Excellent variety of the Italian globular form. Very dense 'heads' 20 to 28 inches across. Spicy flavor. Good in pots.

Green Ruffles O.b. 'G.R.' (A)

Holly's Painted O.b. 'H.P.' (A) Unusual variegated leaves. Pink flowers.

Holy Basil O. sanctum (A) Used in salads and cold dishes; not used in cooking. Name often applied incorrectly to Spice Basil. Holy basil has a unique 'Juicy Fruit'-type aroma. There are green (O. tenuiflorum) and purple (O.s. purpureum 'Tulsi') varieties.

Lemon O. americanum (A) Compact bush type. Good for tea and potpourri.

Lemon O.b. citriodora (A) White flowers. Seeds are made into a tonic drink.

Lemon, Mrs. Burns O.b. 'Mrs. Burns' (A) Larger and more robust than the type, up to 3 feet. White flowers.

Lemon, Sweet Dani O.b. 'S.D.' (A) Improved lemon variety, high in essential oil and citral content. White flowers.

Lesbos O.b. 'Lesbos' (A) Unusual combination of spice, floral and citrus aroma. Height to 40 inches. Also known as 'Aussie Sweetie'.

Lettuce Leaf O.b. crispum (A) Similar to, but better flavor and aroma than Mammoth. White flowers. Used as a cold remedy in Japan.

Lime O. americanum (A) Lime-scented. White flowers.
Mammoth O. basilicum (A) Excellent variety of sweet basil with very large leaves.

Mexican Spice O.b. 'M.S.' (A) Grown for fragrance and aroma and as an ornamental. Pink flowers.

Miniature O.b. 'Minimum' (TP) White flowers.

Napoletano O.b. 'N.' (A) White flowers.

Nufar F1 O.b. 'Nufar' (A) Fusarium resistant variety of Genovese type sweet basil.

Osmin Purple O.b. 'O.P.' (A) Darkest purple of the basils. Height to 20 inches.

Puerto Rican Ocimum 'P.R.' (A) White flowers.

Puerto Rican, Miniature O.b.'M.P.R.' (A) White flowers.

Purple O.b. 'Purpurascens' (A) Pink flowers.

Purple Bush O. 'Purple Bush' (A) Dwarf, compact growth with purple-green leaves. Good in pots and for hedging.

Purple Delight O.b. 'P.D.' (A) More robust in growth than 'Rubin'.

Purple Ruffles O.b. 'P.R.' (A) Dark purple leaves heavily ruffled and fringed. Pink flowers.

Rubin O.b. 'Rubin' (A) Improvement over 'Dark Opal' (very little green). Pink flowers.

Siam Queen Ocimum sp. 'S.Q.' (A) Variety of Thai Basil. Deep purple inflorescences above dark green leaves. An anise aroma and flavor.

Spice Basil O.a. 'S' (A) Possible hybrid between O. canum and O. basilicum. Lavender flowers.

Spicy Globe O.b. minimum 'S. G.' (A) Uniform, dense globular form with larger leaves than the type. White flowers. Excellent in pots for the windowsill garden.

Sweet Basil O. basilicum (A) Best known basil for culinary use. White flowers.

Sweet Fine O.a. 'S.F.' (A) White flowers.

Sweet Salad(TM) O.basilicum (A) Medium-size leaf. Leading commercial variety. Dries without turning black.

Sweet Thai O.b. 'S.T.' (A)

Thai O.b. thyrsiflora (A) Variety used in Vietnamese and Thai cooking. Lavender flowers.

Thai Magic O.b. 'T.M.' (A)

Thai Seed O. citriodora 'Thai' (A) White flowers.

Well-Sweep Purple Miniature O.b. 'Minimum Purpurascens Well-Sweep (A) Diminutive form of Purple Basil exclusive to Well-Sweep Herb Farm. Pink flowers.

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

ROFLMOL....and cleaning the coffee off my computer screen and D's SO asking what's sooooooooooo funny.............

Greensboro, AL

Vortreker: That explains why I saw it in Alabama - maybe. Is there a source for that table?

Interesting that there are so many basils.

Pensacola, FL(Zone 8b)

yeah do tell I want some chocolate basil

Greensboro, AL

If it grows in S. Alabama it should grow in Pensacola!

Pensacola, FL(Zone 8b)

not that I have seen but if i do everyone will know

Greensboro, AL

Pen: that's what I did and look what happened! Everyone wants chocolate basil and it is not to be found - yet anyway.

Pensacola, FL(Zone 8b)

oh darn I wouldnt mind to have some

Greensboro, AL

If it still exists it should show up soon. Planting season is almost here!

Pensacola, FL(Zone 8b)

Well i think it is planting season ive already planted tomatoes

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Hey chocolate mint basil!!! Look at this http://davesgarden.com/community/journals/vbc/kajlaw/36489/

Greensboro, AL

I don't get a photograph to come up, but if its perennial - its mint not basil.

Chocolate mint is readily available. Basil is almost always an annual. You have to root it again each season to keep it going.

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Yes but this says Chocolate Mint Basil which isn't Chocolate Basil anyway but it is closer to it then none.But I cant get to her home page. She has a large Journal just no dmail.

Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

Here you go, arejay:
http://davesgarden.com/members/kajlaw/

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Oh Alexandra, thank you, I was just going to write to you. I have Amaryllis poking through!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.