ways to protect Lily bulbs from voles- suggestions please???

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

hi,
i will be planting some lily bulbs in my mom's gardens this spring, where she has had a history of voles eating her lily bulbs.
i was considering making cages with chicken wire to protect them, burying them beneath the soil level...
any suggestions if this could work?
if not, maybe someone else has had the same issue and found something easier or better?

thank you in advance!
Lyle

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Wow - I know CIA guys are normally worried about moles, but not voles! Seriously, that's one critter I have never had to deal with, luckily. Good luck!

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

LOL!!! you're a funny guy!
i know....thank goodness i don't have any in my gardens either...my lilies (asiatics/orientals) multiply like crazy, spreading like weeds every season.
my mom gets a season or 2 out of her bulbs and then they're eaten up...i've never seen anything like it!

No deer your way? Such a big problem for me. What else do you grow?

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

we have a very heavy deer population up here...but thank goodness not in our neighborhood...
too many people i guess.

my mom lives out in the country where i grew up (sand lake, rensselaer county) and have a ton of deer to deal with, along with bear, moose etc!

i grow alot of perennial plants...i have a fondness for all the new coneflowers, sedums, phlox, hydrangeas.
and absolutely love tree form lilacs (korean), t/f wisteria and t/f french pussy willow...i have all of them in my gardens.

what are you interested in growing?
what town/city do you live in?

I am in Stony Point in Rockland County. We have lots of people here too, but that does not stop the deer. It's much worse recently than ever before.

I grow a bit of everything, though I now favor flowering shrubs. I have many viburnum, hydrangea, crape myrtle, physocarpus and many others. Running out of room! How much space do you have? Please post photos.

So am I right in assuming that CIA is Culinary Institute of America, not Central Intelligence?

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

i know the area a bit...and yes, lots of people for sure!
lol about the deer...they are son's of guns!

last year i bought more shrubs as well, some dogwood, small evergreens etc.

yes...graduated from The Culinary Institute of America in 2004 from their Pastry program.
now the secret is out!!! lol

Oh my God! When's the party?!!!

Seriously, please post on the forum when you can. It's nice to see more guys lately. Not that I don't like all the women!

Please go to the 'DG Names' thread and introduce yourself. Would love to have you join the fray.

Okay - what are your specialties?? I love to eat!

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

LOL! i'll let you know for sure this summer!

thanks for the welcome...the women are very nice...but chatting with other guys about gardening and projects and their ideas is alot of fun, i agree.

forgot to mention the size lot we have.
its 75x150 and filling up...have lots of plans for this summer...and can't wait for spring.
i'm going crazy right about no with winter...can't stand it much longer!!! lol

and yes, i'll post some photo's of what we've done so far....maybe some before and after.

ok...i'll look up the names thread and do so...thank you again for the warm wlecome since i'm fairly new to DG...
my friend dpoitras bought me this membership as a christmas gift....i could'nt ask for a better gift!

my specialities...?
wedding/speciality cakes, love making pies, making all funky flavors of scones.
do you like to bake or cook?

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Not to mention he's Italian and you said "Pasta". lol
I have had great success with daffodill bulbs and garlic surrounding the area im growing lilies and tulips in.

This message was edited Mar 4, 2009 7:00 PM

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

that's a great idea pixie62560! never even thought of that! thank you.

Great to hear! Debbie is very nice - wish she would post more often!

I'm still a newbie cook. Full-time dad these days. Go for the easiest, quickest healthy meals. Can't bake at all.

Love pies! And pasta.

yes - I use minced garlic successfully to keep the squirrels away.

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

yes, we work together and she's a good gal for sure!
during the winter she stays busy with scrapbooking, but once spring rolls around, watch out! i'm sure she'll be on more.

me too with the love of pies and homemade pasta....don't even get me started!
just joined weight watchers and lost 12.8 pounds in 6 weeks.

look at what we learn on DG! i wouldn't think of using minced garlic...but now have a weapon against all the grey squirrels we have here!
i save my clipped hair to use as a repellent which seems to work pretty good.

Good luck with the weight loss - great progress so far!

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

thank you!
i'm looking forward to vacationing on cape cod this summer and not being ashamed to swim at the beach!

you mentioned you're a stay at home dad...how many children do you have?

Two boys - 6 (almost 7) and 10. My background is engineering. Worked for Columbia U. for 16+ years.

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

that's awesome! both being a dad and engineer.

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

I know some people who swear by RopelŪ

http://www.nixalite.com/ropel.aspx?gclid=CM3eobvJipkCFQECGgodE14Klg

Maybe try companion planting things that naturally deter things like that .... I think marygolds put something into the soil that they do not like .... probably other things, too.

Welcome to DG, Lyle ..... What good recipes ya gots?!??!

Thanks, Lyle. It was often easier dealing with engineering disasters than kid stuff!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I just read somewhere about keeping voles away from bulbs, now I just have to find it for you.

On the midatlantic forum I know Mary (Stormyla) can't find anything that works...I told her to get a barn cat.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/865841/

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/915474/

Southern Dutchess Co, NY(Zone 5b)

Hi Lyle,
I live just southeast of Hyde Park. Hubby and I went to the Escoffier Room in November to celebrate our Silver Anniversary. A great meal, by the way! Part of my family came from Rensselaer many years ago.

I don't know if using blood meal planted with the bulbs will work, but it can't hurt. And chicken wire has holes much too large! Maybe cages of hardware cloth would be a better solution. I have found deer to be the bigger problem than voles, which are easier to control if you have a cat or two.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.