Landscaping Fabric?

Abington, PA(Zone 6b)

What's your favorite company to buy landscaping fabric from, and what does it cost?

Greg

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

I just buy it from HD. I'm not a fan of it.

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

save your $$ ^_^

Newspaper plus mulch works better.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

the only time I used it ... it was from HD... and only because we ran out of newspaper

That's why Randy started the subscription!^_^

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

LOL

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

New house here, wher ever I want to garden I dig down 4 inches and there the D----- stuff is.
I hate it but thats how contractors built new subdivisions in the 80's.
This 75 foot long 10 feet wide section ,where I am trying to establish a garden is - was- loaded with it.
Where the cloth ends there was heavy plastic.
It was much easier to remove than the fiber cloth. I am not sure of the survival of some plants where I couldnt lift enough cloth for a hole,I just cut holes in the stuff and planted.
Just as soon as I think I have all of it, I will go to move a plant and find more UGGGGGG.
This is the long view of the 75 foot garden taken at the beginning and going to the back of the property,part shade,shade,sun I love the spot, garden can be seen from the deck.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

my neighbor used the stuff...what a true waste of time & $$...
there are more weeds in there now...I swear the stuff attracts the weeds!

ge: I can't imagine still finding that stuff and having to dredge it all up and out....beautiful gardens btw ^_^

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I finally got smart and whenever I go to that part of the garden I take a Matknife so I can cut more of it out rather than searching the whole garden.
Many weeds are discouraged from comming up but its not 100% weed free.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I had put some under a wood chip path and the weeds were just growing right up through it, ended up taking it all up and my new path has newpaper under the chips.

I had that heavy plastic in my front gardens with about 3 inches of the little landscape stone on top of it...how obnoxious to rip that up. Still had weeds.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

don't use it - easier dealing with the weeds until you have the garden established

I use green house mat.

Abington, PA(Zone 6b)

So, I'm getting from all the responses to forget about the landscape fabric and go with newspaper?

Greg

Is landscape fabric and the Green House weed mat the same? I put GH mat down in my veggie garden last year for 3 rows of tomatos. I had no weeds except where I cut the hole for the plant to get some water. Approx 1 foot around the stock. I could of barked it and not had weeds.

GH mat will let water down but weeds not up through.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Dont waste your money.Use news paper

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I think that green house mat is similar to what professionals use if I'm not mistaken.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.