Opinions on Mushroom Soil

Pine Grove, PA(Zone 6a)

I need a more experienced, knowledgable opinion(s). I moved two years ago to an area that seems to favor mushroom soil. The local garden/ag centers said that while it wasn't as high in nutrients as manure, that it was a good fertilizer for the soil. I purchased a truck load and added it to the new flower beds and vegetable gardens I dug. By mid summer I had mushrooms and other fungus/spores growing in the beds around my roses and veggies. I don't know why this concerns me. The roses, herbs, dahlias, veggies all grew fine. There were no signs of disease. I'm sure its just that its new to me, but I'd rather hear what others have to say about using mushroom soil, good bad and indifferent.

Thank you in advance.

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

Nothing wrong with mushroom compost...............the makings are horse manure, sawdust and straw. It comes out of the mushroom houses nearly all digested or converted to compost. It should contain no fungicides or insecticides. These poisons are not part of mushroom culture. I buy it and use it by the trailer loads.

Orlando, FL

I wonder when I used fish emolsion I drew raccoons to my house so I changed to mushroom and had no problem. But I too got some different kinds of mushrooms in my raised beds!! I wonder if you can use them in salads or such??

There are old mushroom eaters. There are bold mushroom eaters. There are no old bold mushroom eaters.

If you have to wonder and go ahead anyway you are a bold mushroom eater.

Pine Grove, PA(Zone 6a)

Thank you for your replies. Its reassuring to hear that there are no chemicals in the mix. I've had tilled the mushrooms that grew last year. I might try identifying some this year. I'm definitely not bold enough to eat what I can't identify. I don't know much, but I know enough to know better.

A modern horse stable or farm is forever giving shots and meds to their cattle. Depending on timing there will be evidence of feed through or pass trough of those chemicals. I personally do not worry about this but you will have some traces nearly all the time.

There are farms and maybe stables that practice the organic lifestyle. To find one of those and find a way to use their manure is attainable if you are really concerned with feed through chemicals in your manure. Talk to the organic growers at your farmers market.

Pine Grove, PA(Zone 6a)

Oh, I never considered that. I think due to convenience and availability, I'm just gonna have to get used to using mushroom soil. Thank you for your insights docgipe.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.