Whizzin' On the Compost Pile?

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

I KNOW I read on one 'a these threads that someone was trying to get their DH to whiz on the compost pile to get the heat started up. Please expound if this is true.

Missouri City, TX

The amonnia should help.

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 4b)

Bubba's not p***ing into the wind when it comes to urine:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/637285/

So, if I'm putting this er, "starter fluid" on my compost pile, will I be able to use the compost on my veggie bed or not? I read somewhere else that as long as the compost breaks down over time, or heats up enough (which my little pile has never done), it's ok to use on the veggies. I just want some more opinions on this use. I'd still have enough other areas to spread it if not on my veggie bed...

Missouri City, TX

GG, the only time I get a hot compost pile is when I overload it with harvested grass bags from the neighborhood. That is why I use the dried molasses - I let the worms take care of everything.

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

I never return to the house for relief when working in the gardens. Therefore I am just a wizz short of some more free nitrogen. Absolutely nothing wrong with waste from a healthy body.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Agreed- I have read that healthy urine is basically sterile. Ladies, wear a gathered skirt when gardening. Nobody knows whats under it.

or not.

Savannah, GA

There were whole threads on this somewhere. I read them and started saving pee for my compost pile and it made it heat up fast! I don't do it all the time, mainly because it's too much trouble. Some people dilute the pee and use it on plants.

After reading about all the uses of pee in the garden I feel guilty when I start disposing of it.

Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

WOW! I wondered why the hydrangeas under the big OAK tree out back look so good!!! LOL Samantha

Or for modesty, one could take a bucket to the shower and catch the water while it's warming up, plus your personal contribution.

Ya'll are absolutely right about urine being sterilized. Now I remember reading somewhere that it's safer to drink your own filtered urine than just about anything else!

So, I WILL be able to use it on my veggie beds! Thanks, guys!

P.S. I'm coining the term, "organic starter fluid..." Look for it in the gardenology page!

This message was edited Mar 4, 2009 4:23 PM

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

I like to spell my name. ^_^

Victorgardener,
Don't quite understand your post. Please explain.

While whizzing!

Victor...............if you are writing in snow getting back to dot the (i) must be a hoot.

Not to mention crossing the 'T'!

Orlando, FL

OMGosh!!!! Too funny...Son asked if he could "water the plants" the other day!! I guess I'll give him the okay as long as it's on the compost!!!

I may try to mark my area since the deer are so at of hand.

Pee, you!

I'll never again look at a package of compost starter/ booster without thinking of this

Sallyg, I think you should never again look @ a package of compost starter fluid with such an organic FREE product available 2 U!

Oh, I look, yeah, but don't touch, already ^_^

The best compost starter bar none is black strap molasses. All of the above will only help.
The molasses is available at feed mills where they make cattle feed for about six bucks a gallon....less if you buy five gallons. You must take your own container. This is feed grade with all the goodness left in for the cattle. The price varies around the country.

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

must be nice to be a guy sometimes. Not only do you get to tinkle (did I just say that?! lol) outside, but you also get to help the plants freely. Nice.

Two words: portable urinal. You ladies have at it, now.

With a DG name of PuddlePirate - hmmmm.

Actually, for a brief time during my freshman year of college, my friends called me "Puddles" after an incident wherein I drunkenly mistook a living room for a bathroom.

My DG nickname is a reference to my time in the USCG. The Navy types called us "puddle pirates" as an insult. I've turned it into a badge of honor, since it takes real skill to handle ships in shallow water. Any fool can slog across the open ocean.

He hee. Good points! I am amazed at what the Coast Guard does. My neighbor is a retired Lt. Commander.

How old is he? I might know him.

Never mind. I'm 37. :)

Hee hee. I think his boat had a sail.

Coast Guard what? The question is did we get our gal from Texas up to peeing on her compost pile to make it better?

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

I'll stick with the molasses. No splash-back!

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

You guys kill me!

True, Kate, but I can pee three times before the molasses hits the pile.

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

I pour quickly, and my (oh careful, this is delicate...) spout has multiple holes in it. Top that!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Splash back is a daily routine. Why worry. Molasses is untenable in the cool days of compost starting. Wait if it went through you it would warm up. LOL

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

LOL!

I can manage multiple streams at once. Perfected that at age 4.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.