Soapmaking Addiction! What's your favorite blend?

Port Charlotte, FL(Zone 10a)

Wow...I'm usually on the Florida and Container Gardening forums and had no idea that a Soap/Candlemaking forum existed. I've read through every thread here and it has been so very interesting and helpful. Thank-you all so much.

I started making soap last year on a quest to find a great bar for my sad dry skin as well as something to give to family and friends. I was really reluctant to dive into the CP, scary-lye thing...but have now found it to be one of the most addictive, relaxing and gratifying hobby's I could have ever found. Yes, you always have to be safety conscious, but all those lovely oils turning into a solid mass just fascinates me. I've stuck with using 100% goats milk as a liquid and have been experimenting with different oil blends. In my lasted batch I added Emu oil and I think it's the best I've made.

This is my latest recipe - Makes a fairly hard bar when it's cured with a good lather.

12 oz Sweet Almond Oil
2 oz Apricot Kernal Oil
8 oz Avocado Oil
2 oz Cocoa Butter
8 oz Coconut Oil
4 oz Olive Oil
2 oz Palm Oil
3 oz Emu Oil
2 oz Shea Butter
12 oz Sunflower Seed Oil
7.4 oz of Lye (6% discount)
20 oz of Goats Milk
2.5 oz of Essential Oil fragrance

This has become my favorite. I'm finding that some of these are expensive oils and if anybody has some less costly substitutes (with the same results) I would appreciate hearing about them. Would also like to hear what your favorite moisturizing soap blend is.

Kat

Thumbnail by KatG
This thread has 8 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!