Mystery...can anyone help?

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

OK...here's where I admit how sloppy i am about names.....: over a year ago I bought this epiphyte on ebay and when i received it there were no instructions, no indication which was up or down...nada. So I plopped it in a pot and waited. FINally there are sprouts... and I have no recollection as to name...so, of course, I can't look up how to grow it.

Can anyone help me out there??????

Thumbnail by AlohaHoya
Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Do you remember the seller's name? Send that person a picture and ask. How did you pay for it? Do some research and I'll bet someone can give you the answer. Ask me how I know about doing this - LOL

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Kay...I can't even remember 'when' I bought it... AY!!! lame brain here!!!! I will try to go back ... maybe they have put up another one....?

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

I hope so!

Keaau, HI

With that caudiciform stem and a climbing plant, maybe Adenia, Ceropegia, Cynanchum, Fockea, Ipomoea???

Does it get tendrils or have milky sap? Do you know what the flowers look like?

As the plant grows out it will be easier to determine a Genus.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Oh good...Dave, we shall just have to wait and see. I am going to leave it where it is as it seems happy... Haven't checked the sap yet....

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

LOL..
boy..I do the same thing! I was re-working one of the beds last week, and I came accross this plant. I know I just stuffed it in there, but I have no idea what it is, as it was probaby roots or very small when I put it in there.

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison
Keaau, HI

The plant is Kalanchoe thyrsifolia.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Dave...you never cease to amaze me!!!

I ran into Rene in Keaau the other day....she said the same thing about you and your botanical and horticultural knowledge!!!!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

You guys have no idea how wonderful it is to know that great gardeners like yourselves do some of the same silly things that I do. "Now, what the heck is that?" seems to be my mantra lately! Although I must admit that you have blown your reps ... no longer garden gods and goddesses...just incredibly talented humans!

Dave, doesn't that encyclopedia in your brain get heavy at times??? I am always astonished at the depth of your knowledge. Sure wish you could help me with my "big mystery".

Yokwe,
Shari

Keaau, HI

Hi Shari, the encyclopedia isn't in my brain, it's sitting in several volumes on the floor, desks, and book-shelves around me!

What is your "big mystery"?

Aloha, Dave

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

I have a mystery plant that is driving me nuts! Check this out... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/858819/

I am going to find a "before" pic to show you as well. This has been going on for well over a year now, so I won't be upset if you can't help. I think you've tried before.

Yokwe,
Shari

Keaau, HI

Hi Shari, best I can figure is it might be a Monadenium.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

I'll look that one up...totally unfamiliar with it. Here is the before shot I mentioned: it was taken two years ago.

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Atenas, Costa Rica

Islandshari, you might have an Euphorbia sp. I guess the leaves have milky sap.

( Monadenium "They are very generally deciduous" )

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

....hmmmm could be. There are enough different species, crosses of Euphorbia the genus is HUGE.

Carol

Atenas, Costa Rica

The genus Euphorbia has over 2000 accepted species.!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Well, I don't think it is a Monadenium...the ones I could find were much smaller than my monster. But the pics that folks have been showing me of Euphorbia neriifolia that are really large - more like trees - and those seem to be closer to what I have. I guess it looks slightly different because it is in a pot - and has been Kwaj-climated. Thanks for all the help!

Yokwe,
Shari

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Shari...with your harsh-on-plants-climate...why don't you try watering with some Molassas and Fish Fert (or something organic)...it really helps the soil and the plant!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Every other day my dear! Been doing so for quite some time...only thing I'm really having trouble with is the Euphorbia and my brugs...I think they just get too much wind - the brugs I mean. Now thanks to you, my ti's are looking much better...my biggest problem is not enough hours in each day, but then, that has ALWAYS been my problem.

Yokwe,
Shari

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

You clever nudgette!!! I can't imagine living with all that salty air...but then, there's the beach, beautiful water, sunshine.... Oh, I guess I CAN imagine it!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.