HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DR. SEUSS!!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Dr. Seuss (Theodor Geisel) was born in Springfield MA on this date in 1904 - he would be one old dude! Happy birthday, Dr. Seuss! Can't imagine childhood without you - mine or my kids'...

Thumbnail by carrielamont
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Dr. Seuss was a horticultural innovator! He invented the Truffula Tree and fluffy pink clover, among other things. I'm so sad nobody has noticed this thread.

Here DD#2 is being a Bird Girl in Seussical, Jr. in 8th grade.

This message was edited Mar 2, 2009 5:40 PM

Thumbnail by carrielamont
North Augusta, ON

I just noticed it!

Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss. I remember him well from my childhood. DH still watches the odd Dr. Seuss program.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Are there any ones that aren't odd?

North Augusta, ON

Not that I've seen....

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss! Forgot my green eggs and ham this morning.

South Hamilton, MA

If you saw the Google logo--theywere seussed.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

They were indeed. DD#2 is in another, local, adult production of Seussical this spring. I hated the idea of a musical based on Dr. Seuss books until I saw it, and it has got to be the best jr high production I've ever seen. Lots of parts for everyone, not like 12-year olds trying to act like bald businessmen in tuxedos or like Siamese kings having heart attacks or like widows or any of those very adult situations! They just have to act like Dr. Seuss characters, which is a lot like middle school (you could argue that it's more like nursery school)!

Bordentown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Love, love, love Dr. Seuss. Would have commented earlier if I'd noticed the thread.

What are your favorites? Mine is The Cat in the Hat COMES BACK. (I like the sequel more than the orignal.) Think of Dr. Seuss everytime my housecleaning could use the VROOM that came after Little Cat Z.

South Hamilton, MA

Dr seuss: Favorites--the alphabet & Fos in sox as well as grinch. DD in eastern WA liked the Sleep Book.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Grinch, Green Eggs and the Cat.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Grinch, Oh the Places You'll Go, the one with the Lorax,

I have to say, reading the Cat in the Hat to my kids, he seemed to be undermining everything I was trying to teach them about manners and cleaning up, being tidy, polite, considerate, honest, responsible ... I guess that was the point, but as a single mom, it was pretty tough for me to convince the little hellions that polite was better than rude, esp. with the other parent such a shining example of how NOT to behave. Him and the Cat, the two of them!

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

His birthday is a good excuse
To laud creative Dr. Seuss.
Devising Lorax, Sam I Am,
Yertle, Grinch, Green Eggs and Ham.
The Cat (with Hat) and Horton too
Inhabit his endearing zoo.
Today we shower adulations
On his fantastical creations.

-----
One of the first books I discovered when I was old enough to go to the library was "The 500 Hats of Bartholemew Cubbins", and it started me on a lifelong binge of reading discovery. My mother even took me to a children's program by Seuss/Giesel in Mays Dept. Store in Cleveland, but my memory of that is very dim.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh right, I forgot Horton! A person's a person no matter how small."

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.