Florida girl seeks info about Atlantic City plant material!

Miami, FL

I work for a design firm here in Miami Florida and we are doing a project in Atlantic City. I am in charge of all of the landscaping- well, planter landscaping!! The project is transforming from Trump Marina to Margaritaville so we're trying to get as tropical as possible- palm trees, bright colors, lush greens but the only problem is I'm not so familiar with what can thrive in the winter, summer and salt oh, and wind!!

I have found four palm trees that say they do well in the cold- The Canary Island Date Plam, Windmill Palm, Pindo Palm and somewhat- the Sylvester Palm. Any suggestions?

As for the plants- the salt tolerant plants I have found are Hens and Chicks, butterfly weed, plantain lily, blue columbine and cosmos.
The non-salt tolerant plants- golden tiara hosta, blue iris, calla lily, and a pitcher plant that I love the Sarracenia purpurea but it says it grows in bogs so I don't know if that will work... Also I am trying to find vines, the Clematis Florida vine, The Purple Hyacynth Bean and of course, the passion flower.

Oh and planters- what is anyone's take on rubber planters?? They insulate the roots, no? I know Cement and clay will quite possibly crack- any material that really holds up in the cold??

If there is anyone that will help I will be forever greatful!! Any suggestions will be awesome!

Thank you!

New Boston, NH

I would call Logee's Tropical Plants 888-330-8038.They are very helpful and knowledgeable.Would suggest things that will mix well very professional.
Peter

Miami, FL

thank you Peter!!

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

You might also want to try local, Atlantic City, sources

Like the Brigantine Garden Club or the Northfield Garden Club, etc.

Here's a google link to some ideas to pursue:

http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&safe=off&q=atlantic+city+garden+club&btnG=Search

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

Rugosa roses also love the beach.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.