Spring RU Thoughts

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Folks it's about time we opened this thread for discussion.

My thoughts.....
In ORVG Spring RU Tradition we hold it at a neutral site.... park, etc...

On the River that gives us our heritage ..... OH, KY or IN

How about the last weekend in May..... that's the weekend AFTER Memorial Day

Just MY thoughts...

Ric

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I've been thinking we need to start discussing too. I like the idea of that weekend- been thinking a little earlier than usual would be better for digging and planting stuff.

just posting ,so i don't loose the thread.
Don't really have an opinion yet LOL
i pretty easy
but for a FYI that weekend is usually the end of school and some parents might have kids graduating ?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

OK it's priorities.... personally I'd think the RU would trump ....... LOL!

Ric

LOL yeah you would think that huh ?
they can always video tape the graduation .I mean really ! ? :)

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Really in fact they could just Green Screen tape the kids while they are at school and layer the Graduation.
Save everyone a bunch of bad speeches and give them more time for the After Party!

LOL :) so true

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Hey, I'm in! Just point me where and when!!

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Yeah, me too. Y'all are worth a drive over the mountain to meet!

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Darius, I was just thinking about you! Pretty soon it will be time to dig those Quince up before they start budding out. Are you going to be ready for them in the next couple of weeks? Or I could pot them and plan to bring them to the RU.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Oh DARIUS!! There you are! I've been missing you.

Was that you that brought the pepper cookies to the RU? I loved them. Might have been Maggie, not sure.

Funny i was thinking of her too LOL
where have you been ? girl . :)

No computer... my laptop died weeks ago. Then I used my very slow, ailing ancient desktop for just 4-5 days until it died too. I hope to have my laptop repaired and back home by the end of this week, but they are STILL waiting for a part. Meanwhile, I can drive to town to the library although that's neither convenient nor economical in gas $.

Neal, either way is fine with the quince. The cherry cuttings Robin brought me last fall died before rooting, but we halfway expected that since I don't have a good place inside for cuttings over winter. Even the Nanking cherry Melissa gave me last year died after I got home and planted it, but probably because the taproot was broken. I have several fruit trees/bushes I want to order but it depends on the final total for my computer repairs.

I have NO idea what I may be able to bring to the RU to swap. Mostly I will be starting veggies this year. However, if it ever warms up enough for me to rescue my bramble trellis from under all the tree debris, I may have a few raspberries to share.

The pepper cookies weren't mine. I just brought biscotti.

We want Biscotti !!!!

Yeah, yeah, yeah... I may have to make it wherever I stay for the RU, IF I make it at all.

Pwease oh pweaty pwease :)

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Maggie made the Pepper Jelly cookies....

Dates?
Places?

Ric

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

I'm all for going back to where we were last year. I'll try hard not to lock my keys in the car...or maybe make someone else drive!!!!!

The date you mentioned is fine with me. Memorial Day weekend I'll be in Texas, but other than that, I'm good.

Cleveland Heights, OH(Zone 5b)

The only thought I have about it is I hope I can find someone to stay with that weekend. (Me and Oprah). If so count us in!

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

You know we'll all be fighting over you....

Find me a spot, too!

Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

Toni...you KNOW where your Room is!!!

I know if it is Grad weekend, that you can count Melissa out, as Ethan Graduates this year...

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Guess my bedroom goes to you then Darius!! :O) That's if you want to go further North than the RU!

if anyone likes Watermelon rind pickles i got a bunch of them
i made them last summer and i don't like them. New thing for me . hate to see them go to waste.
LMK

How much farther north? No, I'm not picky, LOL.... I also want to plan in some time to spend researching old records in Adams County (and maybe others) while I'm there. The last relative I knew living there died about 18 months ago. (and I haven't even looked at a map to see where that in in relation to the RU spot anyway.)

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Darius, Joyce is about 25 minutes north of me maybe 35 minutes from where we held the last RU.

Melissa's graduation event is the first weekend in June I'm pretty sure.

Ric

Oh, Joyce... THAT's NOT NORTH, LOL!! I thought you were talking hours, not minutes... :) I think I wore out Melissa's couch last year, time to try a different one...

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Well, you're certainly welcome and I'll even give you a bed. :O)

T'anks! :)

morehead, KY(Zone 6a)

Hey Darius
If you wanted a pit stop slumber party. We would love to have you. I don't know which route you use. You could stay here Friday and at Joyce's on Sat. : ) or we could both stay at Joyce's sat.!! ???? Of course I would have to ask Joyce first! LOL Just a thought.
George

Hey if there is going to be a sleep over, I want in too :)

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Allright.....Slumber party....I'm in!!!!!

can we make Mojitos ?

Sounds like fun, Geo!... I either went through Morehead or passed by close last year, so I know it's not out of the way. I mostly take the back roads when I can... highways (interstates) get SO boring.

morehead, KY(Zone 6a)

We would have fun Darius! I can kick the oldest out of his room for the night and you would be good to go. I have another bedroom, but It's stuffed with craft/plants/crap/etc. This may motivate me to get that room straightened finally also. You would have to come early friday, so I could show you the woods and critters. I will even break out my last gal. of raspberries for dumplings if you stay.(and that has been the high holy all winter), but you would be a special guest.
George

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Depending on the date and location I'm gonna do my best to get there this year :-) I'm planning on selling at the weekend Farmer's Market, so it may come down to travel or making money.....

I will take curtain number 3 Bob.

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

Brian and I hope to be there! Where was it last year? Yay, darius, we'll get to meet this time :)

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I would love to put in for vacation day the Friday before- i could drive down to visit friends in Paris,KY, stay overnight there. Then, I could come by round up on my way home on Saturday.

In fact, if you do this the Saturday after Memorial Day, I could take the whole week off... That is usually when I take a week- before or after Memorial Day...

I spoke to my boss about it, and I would need to have my paperwork in for the request soon--- as a couple others have expressed interest in taking time off then too- and they only allow one in my area off at a time over a holiday.

Any clue when we will know for sure??

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I think we need to set a date by Sunday this weekend.
It seems the Saturday after MD is good for many.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.