mockingbird!

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

What do I do to get rid of this bird?! he will not let hardly any birds eat from my feeder anymore. Seems like the only ones he will let eat are the birds smaller than he his. I have no more cardinals or doves anymore! HELP!
thank you
dawn

Marlton, NJ

Hi Dawn, There's not really anything you can do. What type of seed is he eating?

You might want to try posting this in the Bird Watching forum to see if anyone there has a suggestion.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/birdwatching/all/

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

Thanks, I just posted over there as you suggested. I don't "watch" that thread (until now) so I forgot there was such a forum.
I am using a standard songbird seed mix. I don't know what all is in it. I did just buy a bag of all black sunflower seed. If I switch to just that, will it help? Will I lose any other birds?
Thanks
Dawn

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

You could try adding another feeder - it can't monopolize two at one time.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

and I keep trying to get one to come to my yard!!

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

Nanny - you may regret if you get one! I'll be sure and let him know your looking for one! :)

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

that's true...LOL!

Bella Vista, AR(Zone 6b)

One good thing about the mockingbirds is that they will dive bomb a cat! haha

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

They'll dive bomb humans too!
Lisa

Bella Vista, AR(Zone 6b)

Oh, you're probably right about that when there is a nest around!

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

We have loads of mockingbirds down here, all year. I have never seen them visit my birdfeeder. They usually eat fruits produced on my plants such as Simpson Stopper berries, beautyberry fruits, etc. The Audubon society sells birdfeeders which have wire around the cylindrical seed holders. It only permits the smaller birds to go inside and feed on the seeds.

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

Lucky you amygirl. You must have enough fruit & berries around to keem them satisfied. I did see those type of feeders in a magazine the other day. When money permits I may have to get one or two or three...
thanks

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 8a)

Hi.

I have the same problem with one. He is after the suet cake though and does not care for the sunflower seeds at all. Matter of fact, that is all I put out now and have more birds than you can count - lol!

I moved the suet cake to the front yard, and he moved with it thank goodness. The rest of my feeders are in the back in the garden.

Also be careful of fruit mix. They go crazy for golden raisins!

Good luck!
SunnyDayGirl

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

Thanks Sunnygirl. I did indeed move my suet feeder to another area and I've been watching the birds. The MB stays over by the suet feeder and guards it. I refilled it 4 days ago and I think all he's doing is guarding b/c it doesn't look like it's been touched. However, my seed feeder is doind great. Much activity going on there!

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

Yes, I get painted buntings coming to my feeder during the late fall, winter and into April. They love millet seeds.

Thumbnail by amygirl
Marlton, NJ

That's an excellent shot amygirl!

Marlton, NJ

amygirl, That would be a great one to add to Bird Files!

http://davesgarden.com/guides/birdfiles/go/14/

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 8a)

Hey Dawn,

I just checked the suet this evening and he has finished it up which explains why I saw him in the backyard today. But, he was not running off the Robins, Thrashers, or BlueBirds this time - yeah! He is now on restriction for being a spoiled rotten bird - lol! But of course, I am the one who spoiled him so shame on me.... oh well.....

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

it's cheap entertainment!

Huntersville, NC

i began to laugh at your mockingbird/feeder dilemma.

we had a similar problem - with Grackles!
- these feathered fiends travel in rather large flocks.
- once they 'hit' a feeder; there is no room for any other
- once they leave: the food is ALL gone!

and the nose they make!
Whew ! what a ruckus!

yes a Mockingbird fledgling can be a demanding critter . . .
- with Grackles . . . you'd have to see/hear to believe the screeching.

just consider me:
. . . "grass looking greener on the other side!" lol!

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

I think I have counted 5 MB's this year. Moving the suet feed helped a great deal though.

Parkville, MD

I have a lot of mockingbirds, cardinals, blue jays and much more. I suggest you set up another feeder in a different section of your yard, Also you might try a fruit feeder. mockingbirds lobe apples. Your feeder might be near the mockingbirds nest they usually dive bomb people that are near their nest sites. mockingbirds are a lot of fun .Thomas Jefferson and 4 other presidents had mockingbirds as pets in the white house. they sing beautiful songs !!!! I have a feeding site for small birds and one for largerbirds. i also have a different one for woodpeckers . you might just fall in love with every-bird in the sky !!!!

Thumbnail by bobgoestodaves
Parkville, MD

Mockingbirds can sing and mimic many bird songs and if you are lucky one moon light evening you will hear a beautiful bird singing its heart out and it will be your mockingbird :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.