Any aficionados, experts even, of native aroids?

noonamah, Australia

I've found an aroid which doesn't seem to stay above ground for long and is a bit secretive about its flowers. Grows in clusters of plant/plantlets. Not sure if that's because of prolific vegetative reproduction or the seeds staying close to the parent.

The leaves are only about 25 to 30 cms high, they grow upright. The photo is a cluster of plants, the way they usually appear.

Thumbnail by tropicbreeze
noonamah, Australia

Here's the plant dug out and showing the developed seed pod. The bulbs are pretty small. Anyone have any ideas which one it might be? Genus even? Thanks

Nowra, NSW,, Australia(Zone 9b)

Its a Typhonium

Where is it growing?

noonamah, Australia

Thanks Alistair, you're put me on to the right track. I've found it growing at the back of my place and at another location about 300 kms away. Both in similar environments - on river/creek flats that occasionally get totally submerged during the wet season. On my place I've only ever seen the one cluster of plants but at the other location there were quite a few.

The closest googling would bring up was T jonesii, although they only have it on the Tiwi Islands and in woodland rather than river flats. I'll have to keep my eye out, but you have to be quick as well as timely. They just don't seem to stay above ground for long.

I'd imagine it would flower early in the wet. It's a long time since I have looked at Australian Typhonium (T. jonesii was one I named), but I don't recognise this one. There is a strong possibility of it being an un-named species, as quite a few of the more recently discovered species seem to have very restricted ranges.

noonamah, Australia

Well, you've got me started on another project. Week after next I'm out on a flora survey, possibly with Jeremy Russell-Smith or Kym Brennan, so I'll pick their brains. Typhonium is one of those genera you don't hear about. Not us mere mortals anyway.

Those photos up above were from last wet season. I saw the ones at home about 5 years ago. Not sure if I took any photos, I usually do. But when I looked back could only find these. From the dead black wattle leaves, it's in the same area along my creek. Could they be a Typhonium? The photos were taken 29 February 2004, this time of year.

This message was edited Feb 28, 2009 10:26 PM

They certainly look like Typhonium, but I don't remember any with variegated leaves like that. MAY be yet another new thing! I suspect there may be many overlooked species up there. One I named Typhonium praetermissum (meaning overlooked), because it was growing about 100 yards from the NT herbarium!! These are plants which tend to be found only when there is someone local actively interested in them, so I hope you can follow these up!

This message was edited Mar 1, 2009 2:54 PM

noonamah, Australia

Under their very noses! What started my interest was about 14 years ago living in Central Arnhem Land the locals mentioned a bush food called Nangalminj and drew a sketch. I was never able to find it (nor Amorphophallus paeonifolius), but about 5 years ago saw what looked like it at my place. Never seriously looked for it again, but would look around for it whenever I was down near the creek. Either overlooked it, or missed my timing.

Then last wet season I saw it along the South Alligator River, this time there were lots of clumps of plants in the flats above the main river bank. The tubers looked too small, but a lot of bush tucker tubers are small anyway. Took the photos but didn't know where to start IDing them. Also didn't give it such a high priority.

Yesterday I looked along my creek again but several big floods have been through. The area has been 'swept' with debris piled up here and there. Will have to keep looking. Thanks for all your help.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.