Show Us your Bird Feeders, Vol. 12

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Ahhh...I don't have a blackbird problem here. I will put that one on the list to consider too. Thanks!

Marlton, NJ

They were knocking seed all over the ground with their weight.

oh now that could be an issue....okay that won't work then....Thanks Again!! LOL

Marlton, NJ

My problem was hordes of Grackles and Starlings.

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Bird feeders, bird feeders... Ahh yes, I think I have a few of those! ☺

This is my latest against the pesky starlings, even the upside down feeding suet holders couldn't stop them, but this one does, right at the gate! (Until they use blowtorches!)

Thumbnail by WaterCan2

Seed feeder, (anti squirrel)

Thumbnail by WaterCan2
Marlton, NJ

I know that suet one. I saw it at WBU. Very nice!

and some failures and stuff...

Thumbnail by WaterCan2

Wtaercan I see that one at walmart but can cardinals, jays and woodpeckers land on it without it closing?

Marlton, NJ

That is Squirrel Be Gone and my squirrels broke mine (the spring mechanism) by jumping on it.

This was long before I had a pole/baffle system.

Actually nanny_56, none of the ones you mentioned go for the seeds in the feeder here, the Jays call me a few times daily and the cardinals & titmice come when they hear him because they know I'll throw peanuts shelled/ un-shelled for them. They eat from the ground or an open cup here. I throw them a handful several times daily. The woodpeckers are in love with the suet feeder above. The Orioles like their specialty feeder with the spikes & cups for the oranges toward the rear of my yard where its secluded.

- The Grackles, finches, song-sparrows, chickadees & nuthatches go for the seed feeder.

My resident squirrel broke mine too after 2yrs but I fixed it and now he's so frustrated he leaves it alone. - A little greedy that one, since he has his own feeder and gets peanuts too!

They all use my feeders here...especially during the winter. I mix peanuts in with the seed. Even the Brown Thrasher uses the feeder here during the summer!! I must have unusual birds I guess!!

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

I bought this little feeder that is for clinging birds only. I wanted something that the larger birds couldn't use and the Goldfinches and Buntings could eat in peace. The Cowbirds can use it but I they don't spend much time on it. It was a good investment at $12 and the Buntings really like it although it makes me uncomfortable watching them!! LOL!

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

And this little $4 feeder is a favorite of the little and not so little birds!!

Thumbnail by dellrose

Now there I need me one of those!!

Renton, WA

nanny -- you were asking about that feeder Watercan had shown and if
some of the larger birds could use it.
Here is a flicker on mine. Itwas given to me because the squirrels
figured out how to spill out the seeds and she was fustrated by them.
Rocky can't get to it on this thing-- I offered to build this feed stand for her
but its doesn't go with the outdoor setting she had in mind ( interpretation- its ugly)

I guess these flickers are spoiled, I use an old hand crank meat grinder to
grind up peanuts and sunflowers along with bird
feed, and when I don't these silly things pick out the sunflower seeds to get
to the finer stuff. I had it full of sunflower seeds waiting on the grosbeaks to show up and
these flickers emptied the seeds on the ground. (not all, but the squirrels were really happy)

Thumbnail by dirt_in_ozone7b
Marlton, NJ

Beautiful Flicker dirt!

Thanks dirt! I am off to bed now...been a long day!

Sanford, NC(Zone 7a)

A platform feeder I made. I made it out of cedar and it mounts to the deck using a piece of aluminum tubing. The easiest and most used feeder to date I think?

Thumbnail by 24goingfor5
Marlton, NJ

Very nice Jay!

You don't still have Pine Siskins do you?

Renton, WA

Pelle-- showing off for you.
(you're daily bird thread is flying by-
can't keep up.)

Thumbnail by dirt_in_ozone7b
Sanford, NC(Zone 7a)

"You don't still have Pine Siskins do you?"

No I don't Pelle. I think they've been replaced with 6324 Grackles? *rolls eyes*

Marlton, NJ

I have the same problem here Jay. They won't leave at all.

Essex Junction, VT(Zone 4a)

I wanted to take a picture of the waterfall and serviceberry tree and got the feeders in with it. I knew they were tilted, but oh my!

stupid squirrels kept jumping on them from the tree on the right and bent the pole a bit. Then all the mulch went away and the ground is uneven.

At the same time, I'm afraid to fix it because then the squirrels may be able to get onto the feeders - they are "just so" :)

Thumbnail by evie_beevie

LOL!!!

Well not great, but I caught this House Wren sitting still the other day!

This message was edited May 6, 2009 8:56 AM

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Just got my new Oriole feeder today. I've been hearing him calling the last couple of weeks. The females & the juvies come readily but the adult males are very reclusive, staying at the tops of the trees. Later in the year, when it gets hotter, they come down to take baths in my lawn sprinkler.

Thumbnail by WaterCan2
Sanford, NC(Zone 7a)

A couple of Cardinals in a feeder I made......

Thumbnail by 24goingfor5
Norman, OK

Watercan, I have a feeder like that and the Orioles vote overwhelmingly for grape jelly and grapes over other fruit. I have a feeder tray underneath the Oriole feeder and put clusters of grapes on it. The Orioles use it almost as much as the Oriole feeder now.

A pic of a new HB feeder. A Mother's Day gift to my wife from my son. Didn't take them long to discover it.

Thumbnail by reddirtretiree

I wish my platform had a roof like yours 24. You did a good job!

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Hey Nanny, I dare you to call the local roofers and ask if they can come give an estimate to put a roof on your (bird)house…

Sanford, NC(Zone 7a)

Thanks Nanny. That feeder is about 15 years old now. I did roofing for 22 years and did metal roofing, aka standing seam copper for a lot of those years. I don't miss it at all! AT ALL!!!! LOL

Mrs. Ed you are just bad...LOL!!! ;)

Reddirtretiree you're right! The orioles go for the grape jelly more, I have 2 buzzing the feeder and a pair of catbirds have been hanging around there too! - I'm definitely going to try the grapes, I have another feeding cup I can hang near it. Thanks!

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Hi everyone...I started a new feeder thread and here is a link http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1033940/ .

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.