Headed out to buy soil

San Luis Obispo, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi, everybody! I'm headed out to buy some soil for a new plot I just dug up in my yard. The soil that is there is awful stuff and I dug down pretty deep to get rid of the grass, strange mesh plastic stuff, and pulled out some rose bushes for transplant to another area of the yard. I don't have enough compost to fill the spot (need about 2 cubic yards). What do you guys recommend? There is a great soil farm here but I'm not sure what to get.

My native soil is heavy and full of clay (there are real-live adobe houses in my neighborhood - ie, made from the dirt in the ground - that are still standing after 100+ years!). Thoughts? Recommendations?

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9b)

How many square feet x depth are we talking about that equals two cubic yards? IMHO if it is fewer square feet and more depth you might want some 50% fill dirt to mix with more compost. Although, you don"t seem apposed to working, so you may want 100% compost tilled into native soil to 50/50 (6"compost tilled down 12").

I'm interested to hear what others think. David

BTW
The plastic mesh is what the Sod farmers use to hold the sheets of grass together for transport.

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 4b)

Hillary, if you haven't already bought that new soil, you might want to consider cheaper options: http://davesgarden.com/tools/tags/tag.php?tag=clay+soil

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.