sea holly

ack, MA(Zone 7a)

i am looking for some vendor in the northeast that might possibly sell the new sea holly plant big blue featured in new garden gate issue, the grower out in oregon has sold out of it.

Google big blue sea holly - quite a few will come up. This ones in PA

www.northcreeknurseries.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/plants.plantDetail/plant_id/478/index.htm

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

FYI - The description says deer resistant. I bought three. Two were pulled out of the ground and turned over. The roots were sampled... I lost one of the two up-ended.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Looks gorgeous.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

HMMM, i've had Sea Holly for over 4 years and this beast is at least 2 feet tall...but more of a gray blue than that picture. Maybe it's just the cow manure it gets fed. lol I like that blue much better than mine.

This message was edited Feb 27, 2009 1:51 PM

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

Pixie - my plant(s) are less than a year in the ground - so very small still (of course with one it could have been the deer root trim) but from the small pot it was the same blue as the photo. I hope my one untouched survivor gets big and strong like yours!

I went out and looked and a few leaves are coming up from the ground. We are maybe having some snow on Sunday - hope it doesn't mess anything up.

The daphne are glorious and scenting everything - I hope the snow doesn't get to them.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Zeb5, I garden on ACK and have a few sea hollies. They do OK, but never have been spectacular nor huge, though I wouldn't not have them. I have gotten Eryngium planum locally (Moors End) and have seen some of the cultivars available on island too like 'blue hobbit' and 'blue glitter'. The one that has done really real has been Eryngium yuccifolium, but it does not have that bluish flower, it is more a foggy gray green. Fitting. I picked that one up from a nursery while in Maine in 2003. I am trying Eryngium planum 'Jade Frost' from Bluestone this spring. Good luck with your search. Sorry, I can't find a good general picture of one in bloom. The one on the left is the yuccifolium, and the one on the right with the black wasp(?) is E. 'Blue Cap' which I picked up at a nursery in NH called House By The Side Of the Road. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I have had three for a few years now... not really in full sun... they never got big.. but not dead yet.. plan on moving them to a sunnier spot this year

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

I saw some at
http://www.butterflybushes.com/more_perennials_a-g.htm

Don you did find Big Blue!

www.butterflybushes.com/more_perennials_a-g.htm

New Boston, NH

Mine isn't the Big Blue more grey blue also but the bees go crazy for it which I enjoy watching.

Woodstock Valley, CT(Zone 5b)

I saw that Garden Gate too and was looking for it, ended up getting 'Saphire Blue' instead from Blueston...

http://www.bluestoneperennials.com/b/bp/ERSBP.html

And it is on sale!

Miles

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.