Nanjing Beauty and Green Giant

Newark, CA

http://www.botanyshop.com/NanjingBeauty/NanjingBeautySell.htm

The nanjing beauty is a cross between the Montezuma cypress and the Bald cypress.

The green giant is a cross between the western red cedar and japanese thuja.

Plant it earth!!

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Both of them clonally produced hybrids, leading to loss of biodiversity.

Better to plant seedling-grown trees of the parent species.

Resin

Danville, IN

The 'Green Giant' is a welcome addition to landscapes as it grows quickly (3' - 5' per year when established), but is not weak in structure. It also is reputed to be deer-resistant and not interesting to bagworms. It make a stately screen or single specimen.

This message was edited Mar 1, 2009 7:12 PM

Thumbnail by HoosierGreen
North Brunswick, NJ

Does anyone know of any alternatives to Green Giant? I prefer to use natives but need a fast growing evergreen to screen out my neighbors and absorb some of their water that drains into my yard.

Danville, IN

Native evergreens that tolerate wet areas, or even prefer them, include sweetbay magnolia, any of the arborvitaes, and bayberry. Very fast-growing would include bald cypress, although it sheds it needles in the winter. My first choice would be bayberries, as they are very tough, inexpensive, and sucker to form thickets. Quickly gets to 10' X 10'. The berries are a bonus for the birds and for making candles!

Thumbnail by HoosierGreen
North Brunswick, NJ

Hoosier Green, thanks! Feeding the birds is an important part of my gardening. sounds like bayberry fits the bill!

Kannapolis, NC

Our large Arborvitae `Emerald' were bent askew by the recent snow and even though I went out early in the morning to sweep the snow off, some of it was frozen on the branches and kept them bent. Will they eventually straighten up with warmer weather? They were all bent out near the top. Some of the smaller ones were as well, but they've straightened up.

Danville, IN

You might have to help them out when the weather settles some. Usually they adjust from snow, but it's ice that seems to bend them more severely. And side branches seem to "adjust" better than the very top. If you tie them up for a season, they should be on their own next fall.

Kannapolis, NC

Thanks, Hoosier. I'll see how they do and then take action if necessary.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.