Composting myths

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 4b)

A nice reminder that composting isn't as complex/difficult/smelly as it's sometimes made out to be: http://www.hgtv.com/landscaping/composting-myths/index.html

Thumbnail by PuddlePirate
Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

Puddle, nice factual article on composting myths!
I liked the last part about the beer (not a myth, I guess!)

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

Thanks for posting, PP!
Some people get too picky about methodology.
The whole point is to utilize what you have or have access to, in order to build your soil. This was a great article in that it not only sought to dispel myths, but it was an informative, quick read which those new to composting should find helpful.

I'm glad you found it worth reading too.

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

I do my best to encourage gardeners to compost - it provides another perspective into the realm of gardening.
I have been composting since 1985, and obviously believe in its importance. I do find it discouraging when it is presented as something complicated, though.
The info you posted is just what many folks would appreciate: simple & encouraging.
thanks again!

Sacramento, CA

Many thanks PP! I started a pile last autumn (surrounded by old lattice fencing and covered with a tarp) and have been feeling guilty about not turning it more often. I know it isn't "cooking" very quickly, but it is nice to know that it won't be useless due to my limited attention.

One question though...who wants to throw out their beer?!!!!!!

Boofish1, I don't throw out beer unless it's skunked. Green bottles of beer skunk faster than brown ones, so I'll sometimes grab a Heinie that tastes rank, and it goes right onto the pile.

Of course, being a guy, it's easy for me to add used beer to my pile at night when my neighbors are asleep. It's a very organic way to boost the nitrogen levels! :)

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

the convenience factor is quite admirable!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.