Cannas from seed to bloom

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

I'm so tired from being outside all day redoing flower beds I don't have the energy to LOOK for this...soooo, I'm hoping someone will come to my rescue and and have the answer.
I've got seeds for Canna's and I'm wondering how long from seed they take to bloom. I redid and old bed that has "Tropicana" in it and I got a rizome in trade I can't remember right now which one but it's got the very dark green almost black stripe leaves w/ red flowers. Also have seed for a similar variety and a regular green leave'ed one w/ red flowers. I was planning on starting the seeds tomorrow, and was wondering if I'll get flowers this year?
thanks
mj

Parkersburg, WV

mjsponies, I live in zone 6 and last year I started some seeds and had 4 or so plants come up from them. out of those I had 2 bloom for me. In your zone you should have good luck with first year blooms.

I used a pair of pliers to hold my canna seeds and then a metal file to scarify the seed, then soaked for 24 to 48 hrs before planting them and had to be very patient . they took about a month or more to see any results. Which reminds me I have some that I need to get started soon for this summer. hope this helps.
taj

taj
Yes it does help ! If they take that long to sprout I'd better get them started then, I did know that they needed to be scarified and soaked. But no clue how long to bloom.
Thanks!

Inland S.E QLD , Australia

I have had cannas bloom in approx 3months from seed...give them good rich soil & plenty of sun &water...the better the growing conditions the faster to bloom.Slow release fert pellets like osmocote also help.

Thumbnail by brical1

Wow, what a beautiful canna...what kind is it?

Inland S.E QLD , Australia

Seed grown Thai princess....my new favourite!

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

I live in zone 6/5 in the foothills of the Alleghenies in sw PA.
Summer is hot, but winter is cold and very cold this year.
I hybridize and start my seeds inside all winter. Many are already in bud or blooming when I put them in ground later May. Into summer, they are no different than my rhizome started plants .. and you would not know which is which unless I told you. In your Florida climate, you should do even better :-)
Alice

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.