Native Plant suggestions?

Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi, new here! Looking for advice from some experts.

I just dug out a bunch of overgrown chinese privet in my back yard. It was probably 50 years old, and it was in huge trees that created a very pretty natural island that the birds and rabbits loved - but the privet itself is of course invasive, and it was popping up everywhere in my yard, and so I wanted to get it down. But I miss having a natural, wild island back there, and I want to replant.

To replant, I want stuff that can just sort of grow wild back there without invading my yard / my neighbors yards. It needs to be plants that are pretty carefree, that can survive without watering (other than rain) once established, tolerate drought - and it should be stuff that birds / butterflies / bees will like. It would be nice if it could shelter the rabbits that were living there. And I was hoping to stick with native plants. Oh, and nothing too toxic, I have a 1 year old, and this is not far from my vegetable garden and blueberry bushes.

I've been thumbing through the Southern Living Garden Book, and searching the plant files here, and I have made a list of plants that I think might work. But I'm new to this, and I only know these plants from pictures and descriptions in books and on the internet. So, I'd love to tap into your expertise. Do you guys have any thoughts on this list?

Virginia Sweetspire
Ohio Spiderwort
Bowman's Root
Beebalm (Wild Bergamot)
Tall Black Eyed Susan
Simpson Rosinweed
Oakleaf Hydrangea
Red Chokeberry
American Beautyberry
Mountain Laurel
Hop-tree

I was going to plant maybe one of each in the ~ 40' x 8' "L" shaped area, with the shorter stuff on the southern side and the taller stuff in back, and let them go wild. Can you think of other stuff that might work?

Is it okay to plant this stuff now? Do I need to wait for the fall?

And, do you know of a good way to get native plants? It seems like some of these might be things I could trade other gardeners for - just not sure how to find people. I swear I think I notice some of these plants in my neighborhood, but not sure how long it would take to regrow these from cuttings - I might just want to buy bigger plants to hurry things up.

I live in Decatur, GA. I've been into vegetable gardening for several years now - landscape plants are a new interest. I've got spring fever or something, I dream of gardening lately! I'm happy for whatever advice you can share with me.

This message was edited Feb 26, 2009 3:05 PM

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi, sounds like you have done alot of work. How much sun does the area get?
You have some nice things on your list. Maybe I could add a few.
A Crytomeria tree, so the birds have winter shelter. Butterfly bush, sages and viburnum.
I am adding 2 elderberry bushes (sambucus 'black lace') to my landscape this year, I think this is going to be one of my new favorites.

Just so thoughts, make sure you take pictures for us.

chris

Barnesville, GA(Zone 7b)

You've gotten a good start by getting rid of that privet..nasty stuff. Your county agricultural extension office has loads of material for gardeners and will also be able to provide information on Master Gardeners in your area..they sometimes have plant sales in the spring. Happy hunting for your treasures!

Barnesville, GA(Zone 7b)

Kimma, here is a link to Georgia's own Walter Reeves website, very helpful info here:

http://www.walterreeves.com/

Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

Chris, the area is full sun. Thanks so much for the suggestions! And, yes, I'll take pictures, that's a good idea.

Bugme, I've never been to the extension office, I guess i'm due for a trip. And thanks for the Walter Reeves site, I love him!

Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi! I live in Decatur, too! I'm not familiar with all of the plants on your list, but I think black-eyed susans and beauty berry would be well suited to a natural, wild setting. The birds love beauty berries and they're not poisonous. Hydrangeas would be good too, but I have some problems with mine that are in full sun. They wish they were in some shade. So if your area has alot of afternoon sun, they may not be very happy. I planted some bee balm this past fall, so it will be interesting to see how it does. Their main problem is powdery mildew. Joe Pye weed is a good native plant that is low maintenance. The most common kind get very tall (5-6'), but there are some shorter varieties. Daylilies are carefree and good in natural gardens, but of course they're not native. It seems like mountain laurel doesn't grow well except in the more northern parts of GA. Well, that's all I can think of right now! Good luck!

Barnesville, GA(Zone 7b)

Kimma, there is a plant sale coming up soon in Cumming. It is a drive from Decatur, however, the MG plant sales are held in various cities and one should be in Decatur soon. The offerings are always hardy perennials and annuals and the earlier there, the best finds.
Plant Sale Forsyth County Master Gardeners

Date: April 19, 2009

Time: noon - 5 pm

Place: Cumming Fairgrounds

235 Castleberry Rd

Barnesville, GA(Zone 7b)

Kimma, since you live in Decatur you may be interested in this plant sale:

GPC Botanical Garden
3251 Panthersville Rd.
Decatur, GA 30034
----------------------------------------------------
The next two Saturdays, March 21 and 28, are the ones to mark on your
calendars from 10:00am to 2:00pm. It's Native Azalea Madness at the GPC
Native Plant Botanical Garden. Native Azalea's are one of the most
beautiful shrubs in the Southeast and we have some waiting for you at the
garden. As an added bonus some of them are also fragrant. Take a little
extra time to enjoy the garden itself too. The shade garden has Spring
ephemerals up and at their peak. It's one of the neatest times of the
year. We also have some of those ephemerals for sale along with the
Azaleas so come join us.
Sharon
Here is one of my natives

Thumbnail by bugme
Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

thanks, bugme!

Barnesville, GA(Zone 7b)

You're welcome Kimma, let us know if you buy and send pics

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Red Buckeye is great for early hummingbirds.
Elaine

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

How about a confederate rose? I'm not sure if you really want to limit yourself to only natives but it can be done with god results. Just make make sure your base plants or trees are evergreens or you'll have a blank area agin all winter.

Woodstock, GA(Zone 5b)

Little late to the thread, but, we are redoing some areas of our yard, and we are using only natives. Some good websites are
http://georgiawildlife.dnr.state.ga.us/content/displaycontent.asp?txtDocument=140 this one tells natives to use for butterflies
http://www.monarchsacrossga.org/documents/GWFhostplants.pdf another list of natives for butterflies
http://plants.usda.gov/ excellent for all U.S. plants. Will tell if it is invasive, noxious, plant specs, and where is is native.
http://plants.usda.gov/
This site is great also. You can join for $20 and go to sites with other members (I am one) that are about to be bulldozed for construction. At the sites, you can find all sorts of natives and dig them up and bring them home. $20 a year for all the natives you can find and dig up is much cheaper than buying. I have been looking for a local nursery that sells natives, and other than some here and there, the natives are hard to find. Online nurseries are the best bet. I do have some extras that you are welcome to. If you want to email me we can talk about what you are looking for and what I have.

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

atara, hi,, which website has the info on becoming a member to dig native plants?

Thanks,
Elaine

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

Hey Elaine,

The one you are looking for is GNPS.org

Brenda

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Thanks, Brenda,, how are you?
going to check out this site. We have lots of woods and I love the native plants.

Elaine

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

I love natives too. I have been to several of the GNPS sales. They did not have one last year due to the drought.

Brenda

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Kimma,
Spigelia is a wonderful hardy wildflower

Elaine

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

Carolina cherry laura will give privet a run for its money, and I read some where that it will actually croud out privet.Birds do love it, and it is evergreen.Mike

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.