Follow the 2009 Hummingbird Migration!!

Egg Harbor City, NJ

How do you oriole watchers offer orange halves? Do you use a tray feeder?

Marlton, NJ

Hi ems, There are all different ways but some put them through the hanger of their Oriole feeder like this:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/birdfiles/showimage/3743/

Some set them in the crook of a shepherds hook.

Then there are the fruit feeders themselves that hold them.

http://www.backyardbird.com/oriolefeeders.html

Yes you could also put them in a platform feeder too.

Some put them in tree's but I haven't had luck with that because of the squirrels.

This message was edited Mar 29, 2009 7:18 PM

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

Brand new, extra large hummer feeder put out today. The map shows a report in this area a week ago. Heeeere hummer, hummer, hummer ..........

Marlton, NJ

LOL

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

240 posts! Someone want to start the next volume!? I can't as there's no hummers over here :-((

Resin

Marlton, NJ

Hi Resin, I figured since we weren't posting pics in this thread we could take it quite a bit longer. If your having problems with it let me know and I'll ask admin if they can delete some things.

Mona in Metcalfe, ON(Zone 5a)

still waiting lol where are my hummers can someone down south start a wind heading north so they will get the hint and come my way

Marlton, NJ

Yea their really holding steady scic.

its ok for the most part they are migrating so they just stop to vist they stay with me from sometimes in april till sometime in september so I should be patient and let everyone have a little visit with them and not be so greedy hahahahahha

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

I had this feeder but I left it out overnight and the raccoons broke it http://www.backyardbird.com/oriolefest.html

I tried the tree thing and on the shepherd hook too. But they just really did not eat them. So after wasting several I quit putting them out. They really seemed to prefer the grapes and jelly much more!

what kind of jelly do they prefer the orange marlade or what ????

I used the cheap store brand from walmart, grape flavored.

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

They prefer the grape jelly but will eat anything/everything I've put out. The strawberry jam and the concord grape jelly went the fastest.

thanks last year they came by for a couple of day had over twenty of them and then they went off somewhere else I put fresh oranges but they didnt seem to care much for them lol if they are eating all winter down south maybe they are ready for something else when they come north

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Any old skewer will do…

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

I have a small dowel in the garage I am going to make myself something like what you have and stab some oranges hahahahah

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Last year I put jelly in small dishes but after a few days I used BIG flat bowls as they were devouring it so fast! I went to a discount grocery store and bought a dozen 32 oz jars of grape jelly and a large bag of oranges. The clerk just looked at me and said "Orioles"!!

well I am going to go to costco this week since they sell it in huge bottles two for like 5 dollars so they should be happy with that for a few days when they show up

Fort Worth, TX

Still haven't sighted a single hummer...although I suspect that our cold, windy weather has discouraged them. I keep putting fresh food in the feeders every other day though, to be a good hostess. I think there are enough bright colors on my patio that they won't miss me when they finally get here. :)

Thumbnail by DanaFortWorthTX

wow I love what you did with your patio that is like ready for a magazine centerfold

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Oh I love your patio..the colors and all are fantastic!

Beachwood, NJ(Zone 6b)

Beautiful patio!

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Now thats a "Vibrant" patio! Great coloring!

Marlton, NJ

LOL, yes it is beautiful along with the surrounding plants. Dana, I just checked your weather. You should be able to let that nectar sit in the feeders for longer than that and it will be fine until it gets warmer.

Marlton, NJ

OH boy! Orioles on the move!!!!!

and where are they moving to ???????

Marlton, NJ

North! :-)

yes north lol but that is such a big place hahahah any particular area north Immmmm waitinnnnng hahahahha

Norman, OK

I caught a fleeting glimpse of a hummer last week. Filled up a feeder and put it out, but haven't seen anything on it. I still have lots of winter pansies, phlox and kale blooming. Should attract their attention

Marlton, NJ

Definitely red! Let us know next time you see them.

scic, Here is the link to the Oriole Migration Map.

http://www.learner.org/jnorth/maps/current_spring.html?layers=oriole_sighted

Egg Harbor City, NJ

pelletory, you are not too far from us...what do you offer the Orioles? We have been avid bird feeders for years. Last year in the heat of the summer I came home from work to find an Oriole in my birdbath. Although I had never seen one before, there was no mistaking it. Started reading up on them a bit then. Apparently you need to attract them early on, as soon as they get here because once they find a food source they pretty much stay close to it?

Marlton, NJ

Hi ems, I have a saucer style Oriole feeder that also has little cups for jelly. They also like my Trumpetvine.

Egg Harbor City, NJ

when do you plan on putting your feeder out? Do you think they prefer jelly to nectar?

Marlton, NJ

The Woodlink Audubon Classic Oriole feeder is very much like the one I have. I think they like both jelly and nectar.

http://www.wildbirdsforever.com/oriolepdts.html

Tomorrow or the next day I'll be putting mine out. :-)

those are really nice feeders I usually buy mine at wall mart they have the best prices in my area

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

Looks like the hummers are getting close, time to put the feeders out.

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

I was out today until dark so I didn't see any...yet. It looks like they are north of me, so I should have them soon! :-)

my husband use to say I never see them but he kept hearing huge bumble bees lol well the busing around was the hummers hahahahhaha so now I have him put on a red hat when we work in the garden and he cant help but see them when they come right into his face like six inches away from his nose hahahhah works eveytime

one day I had on a red tank top and one landed on my shoulder strap the humming was so loud in my ear as he landed it was amazing it is now my favorite tank top and I went and got three more just like it hahahhaha

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

that is so cute, Mona! I'll have to wear mine!

Gotta find me a red hat.....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.