CAN I SAVE MY COMPOST PILE????

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Hello All!

I've been lovingly waiting for my little compost pile of leaves, grass clippings, coffee grinds and veggie peels, to break down since last summer. Well, one day about 2 months agoI saw the DH taking a load of fresh cut grass from the front lawn way out back to his regular HUMONGOUS dumping ground (great compost back there), and I told him to just dump it into my little pile which (of course) was closer.

Well, that gave him leave to stop his long walk out back, which was fine by me. Until yesterday evening...when I was sprinkling this huge, outta control pile that has spilled outside any reasonable boundaries...and I had just noticed the freshly cut back yard. And then I remembered that the neighborhood cats had returned some months ago and had been using our back yard as the neighborhood latrine!!!!

Is my wonderful compost beneath his fresh dumpings (that surely contain cat poop) completely lost to any use in my yard? I was planning on turning it this weekend and sifting it for use in my veggie bed, but now all I can envision is bagging it all up and hauling it to the local trash dumpster. Can I save what's on the bottom in any way? Like scrape the fresh layer of grass off and just toss that?

Last summer a neighbor caught all the strays in her trap, and we had peace in the grass for about 4 months. And slowly a whole new crowd of cats has moved in because our next door neighbor refuses to stop putting catfood out for the whole animal kingdom!!!

HELP!!!!!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I don't think I'd use it on a veggie bed, but that's just me. Could you just use it on flower beds and start over?

There are guidelines for composting manure safely, temp requirements for a hot pile as well I time required. If you can get it hot and keep it there .... let sit for a year of so? I honestly don't remember the time-temp requirements supposedly necessary to kill those pathogens. I don't pay much attention because I don't ever knowingly compost poop. Googling might help you out .

Karen

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Here's some light-hearted reading
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/soil/msg0116200217246.html

Karen

Palmer, AK(Zone 2a)

How many cats do the neighbors have??? In other words, do you think there really is enough cat waste for it to be a problem?

I agree with kqcrna that I just wouldn't be able to stomach putting that compost on my vegetable garden...but I wouldn't have a problem using it in my flower beds or on my lawn. Maybe.

On the other hand...

A few years ago I composted dog poop, just to see what would happen. (I have four JRT's). I devoted a compost bin just for the dog poop compost, and every time I added dog poop to it, I covered it with dead leaves and lawn clippings. It still smelled to high heaven and attracted flies like crazy.

It took an entire year, but then it looked like normal compost and there was no objectionable odor.

But I just couldn't bring myself to use it even on my flowers or lawn, because I knew what it really was!

I carried it to the end of the lawn and dumped it in the ditch.

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 4b)

Some would say your compost pile doesn't need saving.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/804986/

Big Sandy, TX(Zone 8a)

If you were to throw out the compost, the cats are just going to start using your garden. If you have cats you will have cat poop.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Don't mean to disrespect you, but, um, have you seen the cats poop on top of the lawn grass? Mine will dig somewhere in loose material and bury it. For me that means they dig in my unraked leaves or freshly turned soil. I really doubt you have any cat poo in the compost from grass clippings. But if you're worried, I agree just use it on non edibles, or on edibles but in the off season where you'll have several month s before harvest.

ice worm- that is a stitch. I think I'd feel the same way.

Brighton, MO(Zone 6a)

If cat poop can ruin a garden, I'm doomed. My cats love my raised beds when they're dormant. I fence them out in the growing season (along with the other critters), but I'm not sure that it's necessary to fence the garden year round.

SallyG,
I've heard my DH cursing enough times, and smelled the evidence enough, to know it's there.....

OK, I believe you. A mess of feral cats may well have some bad 'habits' that I'm not familiar with. Sorry you have to endure that kind of situation!

Can you decoy the cats by creating a discreet area that's more attractive to them as a "litter box" than your lawn, like a sandy patch behind some bushes?

PuddlePirate,

Now, why didn't I think of that? Chuck the kitty pucks into a nice sandpile until they catch on!

Together, we can outwit a cat!

I worked on my trellis bed this weekend. Expanded it from 3 x 4 to 5 x 5. Tore down the doghouse that was sitting in the space. Layered coffee grinds, leaves, grass, and a veggie "slush!"

This is the after pic.

This message was edited Mar 2, 2009 11:00 AM

Thumbnail by Gymgirl

This is the before pic.

Thumbnail by Gymgirl

Lovely. Room to stir it up.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.