Weeding torch

New Boston, NH

Has anyone had any experience with the weeding torches advertized in many gardening magazines? Wonder if they are helpful our just a hassel

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

No experience here, sorry.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Pirl swears by hers....you can find her in Garden Talk thread and Iris thread too.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Great for driveway and patio weeds, Peter. Not impressed with it for weeds in the lawn. Fun to use, but spot treatment with chemicals or boiling water is better.

Central, ME(Zone 5a)

Ditto what Victor said. I got one a couple years ago for Xmas.
We tried killing weeds along the edge of the driveway, too. They do come back if they have roots like dandelions..Others are taken care of. It is a long and tedious job if you are doing large spaces.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I used a blow torch for a couple of years many years ago. Not easy on the back, but these new ones would not cause that problem. In my experience some things seem to love the heat and their seeds in the cracks just sprouted very soon. I also got some new plants that I had never had before in the brick terrace where I used it most. I think they were lurking. Just like in a forest after a fire. And along the stone pathways it was hard not to burn the plants along the edges where, of course, the weeds tended to grow the most. But fun and emotionally satisfying and it looked good after the pyromantics for sure. I think it would be ideal for driveways. I could use one for there, asap. Patti

This message was edited Feb 26, 2009 10:29 AM

Abington, PA(Zone 6b)

My wife uses one on occasion, but she says you have to be real patient. It can take a while to get rid of some types of weeds. Here's a picture of it.

Greg

Thumbnail by gbwhite
New Boston, NH

Thanks for the input think I will pass as I am picky if some thing isn't excellent.Bought a chipper a couple years back used it once and gave it to my brother.

I would die for a chipper. Compost would be so much easier!

How did they do that !

Go down to the great depression topic...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/gardentalk/all/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.