cultivating established moss

Bar Harbor, ME

I have some moss that's growing on the concrete in my garden. It looks good and has been there for many years now. Weeds have been growing in the moss too and now some of the perennial weeds have established roots in the layer under the top of the moss, making them tough to get out without pulling up all the moss.

I'm supposing that one way to eradicate the weeds might be by spraying the moss with something that will acidify the root stratum, killing the weeds but invigorating the moss. Has anyone ever tried this. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Karl

North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Can you not lift the moss to get at the root of the weeds? How big and area are you talking about?

Bar Harbor, ME

Galanthophile,

Wow, what a great suggestion. I might try it out. Do you know if the moss will "reroot" quickly?

Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

The problem with moss is that it does not grow roots. You would have to dig underneath the soil below it and be careful not to disturb the bottom.
debc

I find that some moss grows like a carpet and if you lift it it can easily be replaced as long as it gets contact with the soil below re-established.

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

and water it into place good and for a few days, more water.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I read once about taking moss and yogurt, putting it in the blender and then spreading it where you'd like it to grow. I spend a lot of time getting rid of moss though so I've never tried it.

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Throw in a dash of tequila and you have a Gardenrita!

Doug

The people who want moss can't grow it yet those who don't spend ages and allsorts of methods getting rid of it. One of life's little ironies!

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

ph is acidic, lots of water.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I have moved moss by letting milk warm to outside temperature and 'watering' the new site with the milk and then moving in the new moss. The milk (or you can use yogurt) helps raise the acidity in the soil so help the moss get established. Since your moss is established already I think the suggestion of carefully lifting it, weeding out the bad guys, pressing down the soil to eliminate air pockets and pressing the moss back onto it should work like a charm. Of course the moss would probably appreciate a warm milk/yogurt watering as a recuperative refreshment. ps. it's stinky though when it sours

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.