Can I root a Magnolia Tree from a "sucker"?

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

I recently "acquired" a sucker (is that even the right word?) from my parent's yard. The stem is about 8" long, and it has 5 healthy leaves and one coming emerging from the tip.

Can I root this? Should I remove some of the leaves? Should I put it straight into a pot with soil, or in water first? Should I let the cut dry?

If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.

Jennifer

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Realistically, no.

Resin

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Thanks for the answer.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Here is another point of view:

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf63913445.tip.html

"Have you got the patience to wait 5-7 years for any flowering?

The proceedure you're talking about is called "layering." It can be tricky and complicated, but here's what you do:

Take a number of 4 to 6-inch cuttings from fresh, juvenile wood between July and early September. Dip the cut ends in rooting hormone (naphthaleneacetic acid or NAA is available dissolved in alcohol from nursery-supply companies. Blend it 50-50 with water before use), stick the cuttings in moist perlite, and mist them constantly. If all goes well and the perlite is never allowed to dry out, the cutting will grow roots and be ready to transplant in 6 to 10 weeks.

You sure you wouldn't rather just buy another mature tree? ~:)"

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

I like a challenge, and it presented itself to me. I might try, I might not. Thanks for the info though.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

What do you have to lose? You can't feel the glory of winning if you don't play the game!!!

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Yep, I will keep everyoone posted. Thanks for the moral support : )

Tyler, TX

Did you have any luck rooting the magnolia? I cut two off of the trunk, put some rooting hormone on them and stuck them in a pot. They've been in there almost two weeks and still look OK. Just didn't know if they'd root or not.

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Same here. Mine looks exactly the same. I will check tomorrow and let you know.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Much too early to tell! You'll need to wait at least 2 more months yet before you can be sure. But the answer is very likely to be 'no'.

Resin

Tyler, TX

Didn't work for me. I threw one away today and the other one isn't looking so good either.

Tyler, TX

Success! The leaves fell off of the stem but yesterday I noticed that it has a green bud on the tip. I am so happy!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.