Cattls Panel Hoophouse Dreams Dashed!

North Augusta, ON

I was so wanting to build one. I culd actually afford it this way. Do you think I can find a Cattle panel in this country? Nooooo....

Haven't given up yet but looking pretty bleak :(

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

Such a shame, could they be called something else there?

North Augusta, ON

They're called Corral Panels up here...found that out after talking to several people...

Gentry, AR

around my parts they call them pig panels. good luck "3Gs"

Eunice, MO(Zone 5b)

Also referred to as portable fence.

Lexington, MI(Zone 6a)

You must have something like a TSC (Tractor Supply) or farm supply store somewhere near you that you could at least order from. Where do farmers go in your area? They also make great dog runs.

North Augusta, ON

I've called the Co-ops and farm Supply stores...they have the solid steel ones but not the flexible ones. Apparently it isn't worth ordering in for one customer.

Still looking...could probably order online but the cost of shipping would wipe out any savings on doing it this way.

Eunice, MO(Zone 5b)

I am not sure what you mean by solid steel. Cattle panels are solid steel and only flexible to a small degree. They bend into enough curve to get them in a pick up truck but not as flexible as standard fence. You might be looking at the same thing that is being used here.

Lexington, MI(Zone 6a)

I agree with Kathy, I think you've already found them. They are steel. But you can bend them into an arch. I've done it. TSC is currently selling them here in MI for $23US. They work so well because they are rigid.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

TSC calls them "Feedlot Panels" on their web site.
Wouldn't give me a store in Ontario.

North Augusta, ON

Why not?

They built one just last Spring here, right behind Walmart...was the first place I went, the dude looked at me as if I were insane.

Greensboro, AL

Would not concrete wire do almost the same? I know exactly what you are talking about and around here we call it hog panel. It is really strong. I believe if you wired concrete together and stretched your plastic over it you would have a good green house. You may have to reinforce it a little but I find concrete wire very strong. Just a thought

Waterville, VT(Zone 4b)

Concrete wire is very strong; I used it for tomato cages for years - it makes the best Tomato cages hands down. The problem I see with concrete wire is that it rusts immediately. I'm wondering how long it would hold up in an enclosed humid environment like a greenhouse. I think the hog panels are galvanized to resist rust, and are also even thicker gauge steel than the concrete reinforcing wire.

Doug

Greensboro, AL

No question that hog wire would be the way to go but if you can't get it I would say cement wire would be second. Why not make one out of pvc pipe. I think I have seen one on this web site. Pvc is flexible but strong. I think someone built one out of pvc and said not to glue the fittings so you could take it apart if you wanted to move it. I wish I could put the picture I have in my mind on this post you would know what I am talking about.

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

I did a quick and dirty PVC greenhouse over my tomatoes last year, which were just starting to ripen when the first frosts were predicted. I used 1" and spaced them at 4'.

Google PVC hoop house and you'll find some ideas. There are even special fittings available for corners and crosses.

The problem I ran into, which I didn't bother to fix 'cause it was a quick and dirty, was stabilizing for wind. I used wooden batten boards, and they weren't heavy enough. The whole thing lifted off one day... but by that time, we were tired of canning tomatoes, so we just picked up the wreckage and let it go at that. =0)

Cattle panel is indeed galvanized steel.

Good luck,
Jay

North Augusta, ON

PVC is really expensive, in my area anyways. I don't know what cement wire is.

Still looking though...

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Yeah, PVC isn't perfect. Not only expensive, but not UV stabilized, so won't last forever. But it has it's advantages, as well. Available... easy to work with... and it will last for several years, just not forever like the cattle panels will.

=0) Jay

Rapid City, SD(Zone 4b)

Here is a website for some panels. I did'nt go as far as seeing if or how much shipping is to your area.

Good luck on your search.

http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/prod1;ft1_fencing_containment-ft1_livestock_fencing_systems;pg103732_103869.html

Just FYI. I have ordered from this company on several occ. I have found that in each case ordering from them to include shipping cost's were cheaper then purchasing localy.

Waterville, VT(Zone 4b)

I thought that the real panels used for these hoop houses are 16 feet long, and that is why they are so difficult to transport. If you used 8 foot panels your houp house would be around 3 feet high if you were lucky.

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

I expect the shipping from FarmTek to Canada would be murderous.

Concrete wire is used for reinforcing concrete pads (don't know if anybody's answered that question for you). It comes in rolls and sheets and can usually be had at building supply stores. It's not as heavy guage as cattle panels, so I don't know how well it would hold up to moving or winds.

North Augusta, ON

I'll check that concrete wire out, thanks!

Ya, I think shipping to Canada would be a lot.

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

As for the concern about the concrete wire rusting out in the high humidity of the greenhouse...
Maybe it would help to spray a Rustoleum sort of paint on it before using it?

Gentry, AR

you might get buy with the 8' panel instead of the 16' panel if you built a 4' wall to place it on. i use to work concrete and imo the wire wouldn't hold up to the wait of the plastic and winds, not very ridged. you might be able to brace with pvc arcs but then you could just do a pvc hoop house.

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

Do you think if you printed out the page from Tractor Supply and took it to the store behind walmart that would help them understand what you wanted? What about driving over to New York to get them? If my mapquest gave me the right location for you, there's one Potsdam, NY.

Any of these would work. I used what we already had here when we originally built ours... it has a mix of panels, but the first one would obviously be the one I'd want, it's the least expensive. LOL

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10551_10001_35694_-1______14359|14368|35694?listingPage=true&Special=false

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10551_10001_36153_-1______14359|14368|36153?listingPage=true&Special=false

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10551_10001_36154_-1______14359|14368|36154?listingPage=true&Special=false

North Augusta, ON

I'd drive over to the US in a minute, but I don't think they'd fit in my Grand Am...

Thanks for the links...printing out a pic. is a good idea.

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

How about using rebar?

rosswood, BC

someone mentioned rebar..U mite wanna look at northern greenhouse in manitoba..he makes the cover material and has a webpage with lotsa infor on the rebar greenhouses..hope this helps..
Gord
Massey Ont

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

threegardeners

how much would it be to rent and pick up truck or do you know someone that knows someone that would mind driving and you pay for the gas to come over to the USA to get you some?

Were there is a will there is a way.... how about a van? know anyone with a van. My Chevy van could haul 18 bales of straw where as my stinking pickup truck can't come close to that...lol

Wish you luck as I doing the same thing this year. I'm making several arches so my vegetables can grow on them and I can walk underneath and just pick them off easy.

Janet
formerly owned by Blessing & Acacia

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.