What am I doing?

Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

I'm not going to tell you that I've killed another orchid since my last posts... ooops! also not going to mention the demise of (all but one of) my hibiscus plants, or else I'll be banned from this forum... ooops, again!

The positive thing, probably, is that I'm learning. There is so much I took for granted... And because spring means the beginning of new life, that's exactly what I'm doing!

I have little seeds in my hands, that, with a bit of love and care, will sprout and grow happy.
I'm talking about: allspice (Pimenta dioica), starfruit (Averrhoa carambola), tea (Camellia sinensis), pepper (Piper nigrum) and sweet bay (Laurus nobilis).

And just for fun, I'll just drop in some soil a few grapefruit and tangerine seeds... I know there will not be the wisest thing for a great fruit, but one has got to love the smell and the luscious appearance of the leaves!

Any advice or encouragement will be welcome!
Alexandra

(the apple of my eye - this hibbie will live forever in pictures)

Thumbnail by goofybulb
noonamah, Australia

I planted some Starfruit (Averrhoa carambola) in the last place I lived in which grew up quite large and produce a lot of fruit. The new person who moved in after me didn't know what they were and wouldn't eat them. I had to show here they were edible.

When it comes to plants I've had a lot of experience at being a learner. So eventually, one day, I hope to become a fully qualified learner. We all walk our own garden path.

That should be "...show her..." ...and not "show here..,".

This message was edited Feb 25, 2009 1:16 AM

Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

Tropicbreeze,
it's funny! The first place I lived while in Miami had a starfruit tree in the garden. We had no idea what it was... but we were young and crazy... and we tried it! Still one of my favorite tropical fruit! This and mango! Later, we found out that all the trees and shrubs in that garden were with edible fruit, and we enjoyed them for a year. We had to move from that house, only to move again, after 3 years, in the same area, same landlord, 3 houses away from the first... all fruiting edible trees! What a life that was!

Keaau, HI

Hi Alexandra! Plant the seeds in a peat based growing medium (Pro-Mix) about a half inch deep. Keep them moist and warm.

Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

Hi, Dave! Thanks for the advice. I was a bit worried about the warmth, but today our temps got in the mid-80s close to 90s, so that's solved! I'm thinking of soaking the tea and laurel seeds overnight, they seem woody.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.