where/when to divide?

Vandalia, IL

I have several iris, newly planted 2 yrs that are probally 3 fingers thick with about 9 off sets,,,where do I cut it and when? Dee

South Hamilton, MA

Divide the clumps next summer (July into aug). lift the clump with a garden fork. Then break off the smaller rhizomes from the center one & plant the new growths. Those are your future plants. I'm sure that others will join in with a better explanation.

Vandalia, IL

will I be keeping all parts? It all looks so healthy,thank-you for comment Dee

South Hamilton, MA

Discard the large center rhizome, irises bloom off the increase so the old center rhizome is usually done. Treat the others as new plants of the cultivar.

Kansas City, MO

I replant everything. There is time to get rid of the old center rhizome if it really does not produce more. Last year I replanted everything after dividing Gypsy Lord. After I used fertilizer every bit including the old center was reproducing new growth so I am glad I did.

Irisawe

Vandalia, IL

Would you all keep up after them every year,, or would you let them get alittle crowded.. I dont have a problem digging in the dirt,,just didnt know if it would be beneficial!?? Thanks-for the replies Dee

South Hamilton, MA

a 3 year clump should do for dividing unless it is a very slow grower.

Vandalia, IL

O.k. thank-you! Dee

Victoria, Canada

Will irises divide themselves eventually, or do they need human intervention?

South Hamilton, MA

They just keep forming new rhizomes off the older larger one. The center ones really don't bloom, although they can form smaller ones which look like it. sooner or later the old parts must be removed or they can rot.

Victoria, Canada

ok - thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.