Garbage can potatoes?

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

I recall seeing a mention of using a garbage can (plastic) to grow potatoes in. Since our garbage cans are now not to town specs and I can't use them, I was thinking of 1) turning them into rain barrels or 2) using them to grow potatoes....
Any suggestions or tips on how to make a garbage can into a potato planter would be gratefully appreciated!
Thanks
Deb

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

Here is where I read it first, and did them last year with good results. Planning to again this year.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/825325/

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

I might try that too. What type did you try, Deb?

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I might give this a go as well this year

Maybe they can be mashed in there too!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

dirty mashed potatoes.. yummy

Nothing like that earthy taste.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

with butter please

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

don't forget chives and sour cream.....

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

I don't really know what I tried, saw seed potatoes at the garden store, bought both an early and late variety, put them both in the same can, so not sure what I ended up with. I started late, so think it was the early variety that produced. I'll do 2 cans this year, one variety per can and pay more attention. I bought a new can to do them, couldn't use an old garbage can, cause all I would think about was eating out of a garbage can.
I'm not good at keeping records, even when I saw I'm going to start...

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

Quoting:
all I would think about was eating out of a garbage can.

point taken... LOL

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

I plan on washing the cans quite well before using them for potatoes!

A bit of bleach should do the trick.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

after the success I had with the tomatoes and cucs last year ... in the self watering tubs we made.. there is no doubt these would grow better in a can with my rocky bad soil in my beds... and it seems like so much less work this way

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

I love bleach. I carefully use it to clean bird feeders, bird baths, old pots that are being reused, bathtubs.....doesn't work so well on children and dogs, (joking....)
My mom purchased some seed potatoes, I can't recall the variety, so I'm committed whether I want to or not.... and of course, my DH is diabetic and can't really eat potatoes...

bleach and a rag is better then any soap and water when it comes to birds. Chlorine leaves soap dont.

With the tomats and cukes you can buy the expensive ones but you can make your own - cheap.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=6158347

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

not to hijack the thread... I tried the upside down bags... not so good

we made these

http://www.josho.com/gardening.htm

Yes - I tried the upside-down ones two years ago and they were no good for me.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I would say the tubs are good

this was in july

Thumbnail by onewish1

Looks nice. No critter problems?

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

I am begging old garbage cans from the neighbors for potatoes this year. And them I am putting them in my neighbor's yard to grow! (I love my neighbors!)

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

growth was fine.... but the chipmunks (or the dogs) ate most of the tomatoes before I got to them... but they produced just fine... no critters in the soil if that's what you meant ... I covered the top of the boxes with fabric ... kept them from digging in there... this year I am only putting one tomato plant in each box though... they got too big and it was too hard to stake with the two of them in there... as for the cucs I am going to put one plant... and one seed to take over when the first one peters out... I had too many all at once last year... I was just giving them away ... couldn't keep up.... and only during the real hot weather I had to fill them every day... when it was milder I could go a few days with no problem... the bad part is you can not see the water level... just have to stick the hose into the tube and see when it flows out the drain holes in the sides (might want to try clear tubs next time)... or find a huge float indicator

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.